420 c rough idle

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

420 c rough idle

Post by Paul Buhler » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi: My 420 c sort of lopes when idling. I rebuilt the carburetor earlier this year without changing the idle jet - it looked smooth and the seat appeared undamaged. The tractor runs well under load and has plenty of power and starts easily, so I'm assuming that the timing, plugs and wires - which I rechecked the other day, and load jet are ok. When I try to adjust the idle screw, the tractor runs smoothest with the jet completely closed leading me to guess that the idle jet is worn, or that I have an air leak between the carb and the cylinders somewhere. One other thought that I haven't check yet is that the valves need to be adjusted - the engine was run rich for a long time by the prior owner and the carbon build up is showing up in the oil; would loose valves affect the idle without affecting load? Any ideas on how I might isolate the problem would be appreciated. Thanks. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:53 pm

If you can turn the idle screw all the way in with the throttle fully closed and the engine keeps running, something is wrong with the carburetor. Take it apart again and find out where fuel is sneaking into the venturi.

H-D
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by H-D » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:25 am

With unleaded gas, some of the older engines with relatively 'soft' valve seats will eventually get into valve seat recession, makin' the valve lash too tight, but this usually presents itself as much harder starting in cold weather.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks for the input. There's a lot of experience shared on this board and I appreciate everyones ideas; keep 'em coming. I plan on resetting the valves soon, and I'll take apart the carburator again and see what I find. The venturi is a press fit, and felt snug. Should it be bedded with something?
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:01 pm

You might want to check and see if the pivot shaft for the throttle butterfly is worn causing extra air to being sucked in. The idle jet controls the flow of air in the idle system. the high speed jet controls fuel flow.

Good luck
Bob
1949 MC
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:31 pm

snoopy wrote:You might want to check and see if the pivot shaft for the throttle butterfly is worn causing extra air to being sucked in. The idle jet controls the flow of air in the idle system. the high speed jet controls fuel flow.

Good luck
Bob
You sure about that?

When I took mine apart I thought there was a fuel passage to the idle needle.

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:41 pm

Not 100 %, but that is what it says in manual for MC carb. I think they are very much the same, but could be wrong. It says turning the screw towards it seat richens the mixture. Aproximate setting is 7/8 turn open.

for what it is worth
Bob
1949 MC

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:36 am

On the TSX series Marvel Schebler's, the idle jet is an air jet. I would guess you have a passage plugged. Did you remove the jets and blow through every passage?
Lavoy

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:02 pm

I believe I have a TSX 688 carb. My reading of the manual says that the idle jet controls air flow - closed, richer mix, out leaner mix, as Levoy says too. I did use compressed air and carb cleaner on everything when I had it disassembled looking at the manual as I went. I thought that I had checked all galleries - but you never know those ports and holes are pretty small and I may have picked something up since. The leaking bushings around the throttle plate shaft sounds like something to pursue. I was thinking of applying grease around the outside to cut off any air leakage into the carb there. If I applied the grease while the tractor was idling and I noticed a change it would seem to me that I was affecting something. I'll be double checking the carb to manifold seal too.

This is more of an annoyance than a problem. I like the smooth running sound I get under load and would like to hear the same smoothness at idle too. Purring is good 8)

On the other idea regarding valves and lead free gasoline, what is recommended for machines that will be run hard periodically, but not all that often? I need some free time to get to checking the gap.

As usual, thank for sharing. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT

H-D
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by H-D » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:20 am

Since you asked, I 'm an advocate of Marvel Mystery Oil, use it in my ol' shovelhead Harley's to good results. Used it in my '58 Cadillac coupe (now the ol' lady's) :twisted: in both the fuel & oil. Made the lifters quiet down remarkably quickly, it's good stuff for removin' sludge deposits too (removes gradually by detergent action, rather than by turnin' sheets of the stuff loose to clog the oil pump strainer like hot solvent products do. Since I'm repeatin' on this, I'll risk it again & suggest that you check your ignition timin' for function with increase & decrease of engine speed. Older machinery which has sat for a spell (especially these crawlers) is prone to stickin' of the advance (centrifigal) in the distributor. Stickin' in the retarded position robs power & makes for balky acceleration (sometimes even backfire), while stickin' in the advanced position makes for harder startin' & rougher idlin'. I ought make this into a macro, since I've spouted it so many times!!! :D

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:14 pm

Well I guess that putting a Marvel oil through a Marvel Carb should produce some magic somewhere - hopefully good. I think I'll go other routes first - I'm a bit cautious about using additives, but since the non lead fuels have had something removed, I'll assume that there will be a reaction - like more valve seat wear, so using an additive designed for this specific deficiency makes sense to me. I'll double check the distributor advance/retard too. Thanks, Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:58 pm

Actually I don't think these engines were meant to run leaded gas. They had different grades of gasoline then as now. The compression ratio is pretty low to allow the use of lower quality gas.

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:39 pm

They had different grades of gasoline, but they all had lead in them.
1949 MC

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:16 pm

The Facts: From the mid 1920's until the mid 1980's motor gasoline fuel contained an additive, tetraethyllead, that improved fuel performance by preventing preignition in the cylinders of the engine. Preignition resulted in damaging and efficiency and power reducing knocking.

for what it is worth

from a google search on leaded gasoline.
1949 MC

H-D
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by H-D » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:39 am

Tetraethyllead had the beneficial side-effect of lubricatin' the valve & seat contact 'patch'. An additive to 'help' the valves & seats IS beneficial! The possible exception to this are some air-cooled engines (Corvair for sure) which had harder than average valve seats. Did y'all know that the EGR valves which were initially employed by the automakers to lower combustion chamber temps (which lowered NOx) also had the beneficial side-effect of allowing more total spark-advance & a more agressive spark timin' curve? Ya never know what 'good' will come outa the Yankee government! :wink: :wink: