440 - Just replaced final drive - steering issues

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
cdstech
MC crawler
MC crawler

440 - Just replaced final drive - steering issues

Post by cdstech » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:44 pm

My 440 just finished a 2000 foot driveway and moved piles of dirt for 3 months and then finally the steering started to go. I figured the final drive clutches were the problem and by the time we finally broke down to fix it we had no track movement on the left side.

We removed the final drive, all of the disc teeth were completely absent! I was shocked. We replaced the final drive with spare parts, readjusted the brake/clutch and put everything back together. (Keep in mind we had no pullys or anything available to assist us as the tractor was sitting on the side of the mountain, so we did all this by hand.)...

FAST FORWARD TO THE PRESENT....
The dozer will go forward and reverse no problems. A quick pull of the left side results in the left track stopping and the right track continuing.

A quick pull of the right side results in the right track stopping and the left track remaining motionless. It is almost as if it wants to go but just cant get started.

If the brakes are applied it is almost the same as pulling the left brake?!? I know this is a big clue but I have worked on this tractor very little since I got it. It has been great to us, and saved is a ton a cash.

I am planning on pulling the final drive tomorrow and checking to make sure everything is okay. Atleast this time I have it on solid ground and have built a oversized sawhorse which the tractor can drive under and then I can actually handle removing the final drive and other parts without having to watch the toes!

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks In Advance...

ironyetty
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ironyetty » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:02 am

My question would be is your steering disks within specs? and did you properly adjust the clutch on the left side? You may have to adjust the linkage inside the final. One other thing that comes to mind is whether or not your spring to the clutch assembly are adequitly adjusted.

Just my 2 cents!

Ironyetty

ironyetty
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by ironyetty » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:08 am

I forgot to ask does the engine bog down when you pull the right brake? or the left?

Ironyetty

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:14 am

It doesn't sound like you actually replaced the left side clutch when you got it apart, it is slipping from your description. Make sure the throwout bearing on that side is adjusted correctly, if it is, you probably have worn or wet clutch disks.