350 diesel motors

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
derbycrawler
420 crawler
420 crawler

350 diesel motors

Post by derbycrawler » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:49 pm

Just a curious question! I ran acrossed a JD350 with a diesel in it and they told me it had a motor with 750 hours put in it back in 1998. My question is, is there any other motor that is 3 cylinder diesel other than an original Deere diesel that could have been retro-fitted to that machine. Sounds too good to be true to find a motor of that low of hours. Hope to get some good info. back. Thanks.

Shannon

P.S. Great to get back on the board. Great job Lavoy. May be needing some more clutches ect. if this motor deal is a true deal.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:25 pm

Shannon,
I think that the serial number on the engine should give you some more info, that engine is/was used on a lot of applications. Some at higher horsepower levels I think and turboed.
Lavoy

derbycrawler
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by derbycrawler » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:43 pm

Lavoy,
So I really shouldn't worry about it having some off breed. For instance, I have heard of people replacing 350 gas motors with a chevy 6 cylinder gas or situations like that. I just can't think of any other 3 cylinder diesels that might bolt up. Just didn't want to get too excited and find out that it is a diesel out of a Yugo or something. I definately appreciate the help. Thanks!!!

Shannon

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:31 pm

Shannon,
Not that it is not possible, but that engine is plentiful enough, it should not have been necessary. I would guess that if it is a cobble job, it should be readily apparent.
Lavoy

derbycrawler
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by derbycrawler » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:08 am

Thanks for the info. . I'll keep everyone informed. Get to look at it tomorrow so I will know then. Thanks again Lavoy.

Shannon

derbycrawler
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by derbycrawler » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:35 pm

Well I went ahead and bought this 350 I was looking into. It has, as far as I know, a 1984 skidloader 3 cylinder diesel in it. Seems to run good and all hydro works but it will not move. Thats the reason I bought it. Been in this situation already, appears to be the coupling between reverser and tranny. Brand new tracks and sprockets and seems to be a tight machine so far. Soon to be lots of loose parts because she's coming apart. Thanks for the info and I will be getting ahold of you Lavoy if I need some parts and pieces.

Shannon

P.S.
My wife now thinks I am crazy! I have one running/working JD350, one full parts machine,and now another fixer. Its addictive!!!!!!