Odd 1010 Deluxe Seat Arrangement

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ptrachte
420 crawler
420 crawler

Odd 1010 Deluxe Seat Arrangement

Post by ptrachte » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to get my 1010 battery tied down properly, but the frame is missing some parts. Does anybody's 1010 seat frame look like this? I have both the parts manual, and the service manual, and neither one depicts the seat frame like this. (see Image) It has a scissors-like contraption under it that allows me to lift the seat up and lock it so that i can get under and work on the battery, and the steering etc.

My problem is i can't find any thing to lock down my battery, and the steering levers are hitting it. So do i just need a skinny battery that fits down between the steering levers, or is the battery meant to ride above the steering levers?

Paul-1010 crawler/loader

robk
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by robk » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:24 pm

I've never seen anything like it. Seems crazy to me but I'm no expert. Both my 1010's have angle iron seat frame assemblies, The seat frame holds the bottom cushion. The seat back hangs on the curved metal back support. The assembly is bolted to the chassis somehow. I'll check in the morning. The angle iron forms a little frame that your wood seat cushion sits in. One battery is under the seat, the other is in a box bolted to the seat back. I've found it's awfully nice to have both batteries when it's a cold start. Also it looks to me like your seat frame is right over your steering clutch adjustment covers... so y'gotta take the frame off anyway to get the covers off. Why is it "deluxe"? That's what I'm wondering.
2 1010 loaders
1 Massey Ferguson loader backhoe
3 Dodge Power Wagons
1 Wife
3 Kids

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:16 am

That is a backhoe seat, it elevates and rotates for running a hoe.
Lavoy

robk
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by robk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:23 am

So 1010's with the backhoe option don't have a second battery?
2 1010 loaders
3 Dodge Power Wagons
1 Wife
3 Kids

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:29 pm

Dual battery 24 volt system was an option on diesel crawlers only, and not too common. Even the crawlers that had it most likely had it removed in later years as battery technology improved.
Lavoy

Tiny Crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Tiny Crawler » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:53 pm

Yep, that is a seat using the backhoe, I been looking for one of those to put on my crawler loader, Currently I have been sitting on a 5 gal bucket on the seat. I have the parts catalog pages of the exploded view if you want I can send them to you, if that helps.

From the graphic I have it looks like the battery clamp bracket used for the regular seat is used p/n 11880 from the 1010 parts catalog, it is a rectangular bracket that mounts the the studs sticking up on the side of the battery box, I can see one of them behind your neg bat post.

hope this helps

robk
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by robk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:25 pm

I was wondering if it might be a swivel seat for a backhoe... but I went ahead and opened my big mouth anyway. Now it looks to me like my mentor Professor Lavoy is implying that only 1010's suffering in the care of lousy mechanics still have a dual battery system. I have no shame. I continue to learn here.

That deluxe seat with all that steel right over the battery posts might make me a little nervous. My machine has plywood over the battery in the form of the seat base so it seems safe to me. I have dry cell batteries with little trickle chargers on all my diesels. I've found dry cells are expensive to buy but I still have the first NAPA one I bought in 1999. They are narrow enough to avoid the steering lever interference.

All I do is block them in with wood. How fast are you intending to go with this thing? Anybody who is operating it in such a manner that the battery is jumping all around should be retrained. There I've opened my big mouth again. Over and out.
2 1010 loaders
3 Dodge Power Wagons
1 Wife
3 Kids

ptrachte
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ptrachte » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:51 am

Some clarifications:

I'm not planning on joining the NHRA with this, nor jumping 10 busses. :)
The word deluxe was taken out of the manual - I was saying that tongue in cheek. Its far from deluxe.
I have a ripper not a backhoe, so i'm not sure why its there.
The top of the battery clamp is missing, and one stud is broke off.

The seat frame was designed to miss the steering clutch covers rather nicely, but the standard size batteries don't fit between the steering levers and so they are banging on the battery. I've stuck a 2x4 down there to sort of raise the battery up, but thats only partially effective. I'm not worried about it contacting metal, and becoming a literal "hot seat", but its just not right to be sloppin around under there.

So the question remains: what kind of battery fits correctly? I just have a heavy duty car/truck battery in there.

Thanks for solving the mystery of this seat frame. The history of this crawler unfolds with each repair.

Cheers
PT
Paul-1010 crawler/loader

ptrachte
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ptrachte » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:17 pm

sorry i missed the answer above in this long post. thanks robk.
Paul-1010 crawler/loader