440 Final Drive Removal

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 Final Drive Removal

Post by jac » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:52 pm

Well everything is off. All bolts removed, drawbar dowels removed but the final drive will not come off. Can not free it up between the rear cross bar bracket and the final drive case. Removed all 4 bolts between final case and cross bar bracket (they are wider in the middle of the bolt) At the top of the case, I can get a screw driver in to wedge it open. Just can not seem to get it off and do not want to put too much force on it. Yes, I did remove the two bolts in figure 170-10-4 of the service manual.

Only thing I did not loosen is the brake band adjustement nut. Heavily rusted but I can see a 1/8" gap between the band and the drum at the top.

Is there some pin holding the case to the rear cross bar bracket? How loose does the brake need to be?

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:59 pm

Did you remove the bearing cover with the 3 bolts in it and pull that bearing?

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 Final Drive Removal

Post by jac » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:20 pm

No, that was not shown in the service manual. Looking at the manual, looks like that is the the access cover to the drive gear. How will that help with the final cover removal? Looks like everything in there requires a press to remove.

There appears to be two alignment pins that go from the final drive case into the clutch housing, could these be rusted and not sliding out?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:43 pm

Did you get the two bolts that are underneath that go into the final from the clutch housing?
The two dowels that are in the clutch housing will often times stick in the final. You may have to pry and wiggle a little to loosen them up. You can tap outward on the final with a sledge hammer if you are careful, sometimes this will get it to come off of the dowels.
I have had the drive shaft stick in the rear end before, but not all that often.
Drive a screwdriver in between the final and drawbar and see if you can get it to spread there.
Lavoy

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 Final Drive Removal

Post by jac » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:29 am

Lavoy:

Yes, the two bolts you reference are removed (they were under the machine above an access cover and shown in figure 170-10-4 of service manual). I did try the screw driver between the drawbar and also tried using a 5# lead sledge to "tap" the housing outwards. No luck. I will try to get a screw driver wedged in by the two bolts discussed above. This appears to be close to the two alignment pins. If this does not work, I was thinking about running a spacer (4x4) from the left final, which is still fully attached, and putting a hydralic jack at the end of the 4x4 to push on the right final (which I am trying to remove now). I could do this near the rear cross bar brackets and, if I remove the draw bar cross support, at that location also. This would push the right final case outward and I could also pry from the top. Sound reasonable or is this risky?

I think eveything is pretty rusted inside since the previous owner had the steering clutch covers off, and I do not know for how long they were off.

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 Final Drive Removal

Post by jac » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:56 am

Success! Used larger screw driver between housing and draw bar. My guess on the rust was correct. Very rusty inside. A lot heavier than I thought!!! Thank god for gantries. Certainly would not want to try this without some form of lifting aid.