440 Steering Clutch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 Steering Clutch

Post by jac » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:37 pm

Well Lavoy, you were correct. In one of my firsting posting I asked if a seized steering clutch could be loosened up without removal. You indicated I would have to take it apart. Well, it is a now fully apart. I do not think this clutch has worked for a LONG time. Of the six bolts holding on the pressure plate, 5 required some oxy-acetylene persuasion. That always works! If I did not know from the manual that there were separate fiber and metal disks in the clutch, I would have never known from what the actual clutch looked like. To remove and separate the disks, I had to use a hammer and chisel and peel each layer apart. Took 4 hours to chip them out. I assume the fiber disks are asbestos so had to wear a respirator the whole time. I now had a plastic container full of fiber disk pieces. Only the last fiber disk came out with any pieces larger than about 1 inch. Makes deciding what to replace very easy, everything.

Well on to the bearing removal. The saga ccontinues.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:46 pm

I have always said my favorite wrench is a #6 blue flame, hot wrench, gas axe, or whatever you choose to call it.
lavoy

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 Steerin Clutch

Post by jac » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:27 am

Lavoy: One last question on the clutch parts. The gear that the fiber disks are driven by is pretty rusted. How good does this gear need to be for new disks to function correctly? I will get the rust off but there may be some pitting on the teeth. I have not cleaned it yet, so not sure what it will look like.

Also, you indicated you have clutch kits, what is included in the kits. I will need 14 fiber disks, 12 metal disks, 2 pressure plates and 2 throw out bearings. Basically, everything. For now I am assuming the left side will look as bad as the right side which I now have apart. Please let me know prices.

Brake bands look OK.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:56 am

As long as the teeth in the hub are sound, there should be no problem. It should be farily smooth, what I have done is carefully take a file and make sure the face of the splines are smooth.
Clutch kits include brake band, so that doesn't fit your situation. I do have all of the parts available individually. Let me know what you need them.
Lavoy

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 Steerin Clutch

Post by jac » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:24 am

Lavoy: How much are the clutch kits? Also, for the bearing kits, does that include all the bearings in the final drive? At least on the right side, feels like all the bearing need to be replaced.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:12 pm

Bearing kits are $160, with all the bearings and seals for one final drive.
Steering clutch kits are $480 with exchange on the pressure plate.
lavoy

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 Steering Clutch

Post by jac » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:29 am

Lavoy:

Just reviewing the bearing removal and installation procedures. For the main seal, they recommend a seal installation tool to insure the main seal is installed correctly. Is this required? Do you have this, or can one be fabricated? Will send you parts order once I get the left final drive off. Does you bearing kits include new shim packs?

Using Evapo-Rust to clean gear that drives fiber disks in steering clutch. This stuff is great. Fiber disk teeth had fused to gear so it was being very difficult to clean.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:27 pm

Seal tool is a must. For years I said they were full of it, and that I was smarter than any old seal. Well after taking apart a couple of finals I did, a neighbor blowing out a bull gear because the seal leaked, and some stuff like that, I have decided maybe I am not so smart.
I had a few tools made a year or so ago, but they ended up costing $100/each, so needless to say I never had any more made. I can loan you mine, but you have to promise to send it back. :lol:
Shim packs for pinion shaft are $10 each, axle shims are spendy, about $1.50 each.
Lavoy

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 Steering Clutch

Post by jac » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:59 am

Lavoy:

Thanks. I will pull my left final drive today and see what parts are required. Already know the right side requires all new parts. Hopefully the left side will not be as rusted up. I think the left bearings are also better. Will know later today.

Thanks for the offer to use your seal tool. Yes, I will return it!