jd crawler

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
cliff
MC crawler
MC crawler

jd crawler

Post by cliff » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:02 pm

ok I am normaly a car or truck person but i was out in our pasture and found this old crawler i managed to drag it out of the bushes and up into my yard to work on it the motor was filled with water and seized i have managed to get it running and make the hydrolics work but at first it would only go straight forward and straight back i fooled with the brakes adjustment and the clutch a little and now it only turns towards the left. i thought maby that it might be like an open diff on a axel but i found out i was wrong when i dug the blade in. for some reason the left drive just stopped working and i have no idea why? My wife is pretty pissed that i have torn the pasture up with this. I am not shure of the model type but it is a twin cyl. gas motor the throttle is mounted center of the dash and the arms for the blade are on the out side of the tracks. I will be posting pics as soon as possible. thank you and any thing helps. PS. opperator error is a possibility. :D
I have always worked on cars and trucks my whole life but ever since I drug this old jd crawler out of the bushes I can't stop playing with it. need help though

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:52 pm

could be several models. should have a name plate with model number on it just below the ignition switch. With pictures should be no problem to id it.

We should all be so lucky and find one in the brush and be able to get it running.

regardless of the model there are clutches in each side that engage or release to turn. the side that stopped turning the clutch is most likely slipping, could be wet or oily. look at all the old posts on here about slipping wheel clutches.

Have fun with it!!!

:P
1949 MC
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:33 pm

Cliff,
If the throttle is in the center of the dash and moves straight forward and back in line with the crawler it would be a late model 440. 1960 vintage.

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

cliff
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by cliff » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:07 am

i hope that i won't have to replace the clutches but we shall see i haven't had a whole lot of time to fool with it latly getting the home sted all ready for winter but i did have a chance to pull the drain plug on the trany and like the motor it had a ton of water in it i really need some help as far as what king of fluids to use in the trany, for the hyd. will 30wt. work for flushing the hyd. system i hope not because that is what i have been using cause of corse the hyd. are filled with water too. oh and does most of these old models like this have an oil filter. i thought that it might be the big bell shaped thing that had an oil pressure gauge coming off of it but i am not shure? help please
I have always worked on cars and trucks my whole life but ever since I drug this old jd crawler out of the bushes I can't stop playing with it. need help though

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:18 am

Yes, dome thing with the pressure gauge is the oil filter. Sounds like you need to find out what you have as the model and get yourself a book or two. The Hydralic oil should be a 10 wt oil. The trans/diffeerental takes 90 wt. the final drive gears take 90 wt also. would be good to flush the trans out with diesel or stove oil or solvent also.

Have fun! :shock:
1949 MC

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:06 pm

Take a look in the "photos" tab on this site's home page to get an idea of which machine you have. Then try the link below to find a parts manual for your machine. Type in the model number where asked. good luck. Service manuals are available on line from a number of places.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com. ... ervlet_Alt
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

cliff
MC crawler
MC crawler

thank u

Post by cliff » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:55 pm

yes i will deffinetly be getting a book or two as soon as i find out the type i know now that it is an MC but not shure of the year or size i have posted pic.s in show and tell if any body could give me a clue as too what size or even what type of book would be a good one for a beginner. thank u and i have already learned so much from this site and ur guys comments. i will keep updates as to how all is going with the old girl i am cleaning out a spot inside my barn to start tearin her down.

snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by snoopy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:24 am

I sent a couple of private messages that should be in your messages that you may find usefull

Bob
1949 MC

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:02 am

The year of the crawler will be 49-52. I should have parts and service manuals on hand, they are not year specific.
Lavoy