Moving and reviving a Dead 1010

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
eskomra
MC crawler
MC crawler

Moving and reviving a Dead 1010

Post by eskomra » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:52 pm

My 1010 Diesel was giving up the ghost in bad need of a engine rebuild. I lent it to a fellow to use in exchange for the engine rebuild. He's had it for close to 3 yrs. Engine is rebuilt but he left the fuel pump off for over a year and thinks the pump is toast.

From this awsome Messageboard I now know that it may be OK I just need to crank it for a long time until fuel finally comes through.

So now I would like to get the dozer back but since it has no functioning engine how can I load it and onto what to get it back home for some real TLC. I really don't know how to go about this or what to ask for. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Secondly, since the pump was off for over a year is it really dead or is there any hope of getting fuel to go through it by attaching it and pressureizing the tank, bleeding the lines and cranking it over and over and over. Or am I just having another bout of wishful thinking?

Your thoughts and guidance are greatly appreciated!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:59 pm

As long as the crawler will roll, they are not that difficult to winch on a trailer. You could get a towing company with a rollback to move it if you are not too far from town.
Pump may depend on how/where it was stored. Laying on the crawler out in the open, I would say the odds are not good. If it was inside and dry, should be fine, but maybe a seal could have gotten dry as well. Might not be a bad idea to have it checked out prior to installation.
Lavoy

eskomra
MC crawler
MC crawler

Weight of a 1010

Post by eskomra » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:41 pm

Thanks for the fast reply and great guidance. Doesn't sound like I should have too much trouble moving it assuming I can come up with the $'s.

Any idea on the average weight of a 1010? Mine has a 6 way blade as well. I'm certain the towing company will want to know.

I'll continue researching the pump rebuild options once I get a good look at it.

Thanks again!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:34 pm

I would guess about 8,000 lbs, not a lot more than a crew cab pickup, so they should have no problem hauling it.
Lavoy

GraderDan
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by GraderDan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:21 pm

Hello, we moved my father in laws 1010 about 45 miles on a small ford roll back with no problems, and Vermont is far from being flat. His also had a winch and canopy on it. We also put down some rubber mat's under the tracks to help keep it from wanting to slide on the steel body.
Thanks, Dan

eskomra
MC crawler
MC crawler

Thanks!

Post by eskomra » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:22 pm

The suggestions are great and I'm glad to have a good weight estimate! Thanks again!

It is awasome to have a place to ask questions and get valuable feedback and insights! :D