Reversers on jd crawlers

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
420cbrett
MC crawler
MC crawler

Reversers on jd crawlers

Post by 420cbrett » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:43 am

I just recently bought a 4 roller 420 with a 5 speed with reverser. The person I bought it from told me I should use the reverser only and to not use the reverse on the tranny, then I talked to someone else who told me to not use the reverser at all and to only use the reverse on the tranny. Is it true if you lose your reverser, parts availability is scarce? I just want to get the most life out of my crawler and not abuse it by accident. Does it matter? What are the no-no's with a reverser?

mailtrain
430 crawler
430 crawler

420 reverser

Post by mailtrain » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:30 pm

Hi 420cbrett ;

There are many post about this.Rule of thumb and many will tell you the
same,never use both reverses at the same time. Most have the transmission blocked so as not to use it . Take a bolt and nut put it in the slot for rev and tighten it up and forget about it.

mailtrain

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:04 am

If you use the reverser only and are pulling a heavy load backwards, you are putting all of that stress through three little gears that will fit in the palm of your hand, as oppsoed to two or three gears that each are larger than the palm of your hand. I use the reverser all the time, but I NEVER use it if I am pulling a heavy load backwards. You never use reverse and reversed as a forward gear because you are putting too much stress on too little of gears, same thing as pulling a heavy load backwards, just use reverse gear, not reversed.
Reversers were meant to be used, if used correctly they will give no trouble, just don't grind them, and don't overload them.
Lavoy

Mark Birdeau
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mark Birdeau » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:23 pm

I don't know how scarce parts are but I did luck out when I needed some for my 440, I got the last of the linings and some other parts that the used parts guy had. At least one part was not real good but better then mine, and none of them were cheap. This was about 4 years ago. As far as using the reverser, if used properly it probably is no harder on it then not using it. Just follow what Lavoy says on use and you should be ok. I would add though that if its a mechanical reverser ( I think that is what you have on the 420)you have to use the clutch to shift it. Good luck. Mark:

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:43 pm

Even if it is a clutch type reverser, you still have to use the clutch. Only 1010/2010 can be reversed without using the clutch as far as the old girls go.
Lavoy