1010c engine issues

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
graveldog25
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010c engine issues

Post by graveldog25 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:21 pm

Hello to alll, I am new to the site and it looks like I am in good company. I just bought my first crawler two days ago. I get it home and find out that the diesel engine is in bad shape. I ended up pulling the head off to find the exhaust valve in the front cylinder rotted from water. I assume the exhaust was left uncapped at one point and it drank a bunch of rain water. It appears that the valve seat is what suffered the most. I considered just having the head rebuilt, but the front cylinder is also pitted up. Can anyone tell me the following; Can the deckplate liners be bored? what other engines will bolt in? I got a price quote from the local Deere dealer and would be looking at about $2500 in parts to build this back to what it should be. Thats more than I gave for the machine. I have a couple calls in to some salvage yards, but am not having much luck finding a usable motor. Anybody have any good salvage yards where I might have a little more luck? Thanks for the help!
drive it like you stole it!!

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:50 pm

a 1010 or 2010 is the same they can be bored .020 over but that is not much if you have piting your up that creek i have a bored liner plate but the pits are still there they might not be as bad as yours i just did not want to take the risk as i use my 2010s a lot yes i said 2010S i now have three 2 with 6 way blade and just bought a loader with a ripper

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:51 am

I'm not sure if this will be any help but I have an extra plate liner that I think might be for a 1010. I ended up with it when I was getting parts to rebuild my 2010 crawler loader. The liner looks real good. If memory serves me right the 2010 is 165ci and the 1010 is 145ci.
The bore on the liner is smaller than a 2010 bore that's why I think it is for a 1010. I can measure and run a dial bore gauge down it if you are interested.
I also have a spare engine block in good shape.
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

jdemaris

Re: 1010c engine issues

Post by jdemaris » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:50 am

graveldog25 wrote: . Can anyone tell me the following; Can the deckplate liners be bored? what other engines will bolt in?
1010 diesel and 2010 gas use the same deck-plate. Several combine engines are bolt-in replacements.

You can bore a plate, but you better check availability of oversize pistons first.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:31 am

KenP wrote:There's a salvage place in NH that's presently advertising a bunch of 1010 parts (including engine parts) on eBay. Looks like he's disassembled an entire 1010 and he's selling off the parts.

Here's the link.

http://stores.ebay.com/New-England-Trac ... idZ2QQtZkm

Good luck. Hope this helps, KenP
I would caution you to do your homework on this vendor- do some searches on here for "New Bedford" and you can read about it.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:06 am

I believe I have a set of aftermarket diesel pistons that are bigger than .020. I was going to use them on my 1010, but it appears that I do not need them now. I can also get you other engine parts, may or may not be able to save you money on all of them, but can check if you want.
Lavoy

graveldog25
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by graveldog25 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Well, thanks for all the help guys. I made a few phone calls to salvage yards to see if I could find a used engine. I found a 2010 gas that was supposed to be in a power unit. They say that it ran good and is complete. It sounds to me like a good deal at $700. Has anybody out there converted a diesel to a gas? I am racking my brain trying to figure out what all would be different. I am unsure if I need a different flywheel. It looks like the exhaust manifold dumps out of the left side instead of the right. The throttle linkage looks like the throttle linkage for the gas is more elaborate than the diesel. It looks like the radiator and hoses should fit, I guess the water pump should too, for that matter. Anybody else think of other stuff I probably missed?
drive it like you stole it!!

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:14 am

There have been some discussions on this- I think the consensus is that it would be very difficult to convert the crawler from diesel to gas or vice versa. If you do a search for that topic on this board you should be able to find that discussion.

**EDIT**: Here is one of the discussions I remember:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... diesel+gas
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment