tracks derail

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
tomcat4144
430 crawler
430 crawler

tracks derail

Post by tomcat4144 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:00 am

the tracks on my 420 derail seemingly easy. have them tight to specs. of course if i`m into rock or tree stumps its a guarantee i will be running them off if i dont catch it right away. am i missing something? any tips or hints on tuneups to undercarriage or front idler wheel? yes, this old girl has alot of hours on it. not far away from needing new pins and bushings. my uncle that did all the maintenance though out the history of this 420 has passed away years ago, nobody else in the family remembers much of what the repair history was. dont know if the pins have been turned or not. i dont want to tighten the tracks past the specs. would it help to build up any parts of the the undercarriage by welding? and if i did, what type of rod do i use?

lavoy, direction reverser has been working great since rebuild.

thanks, Tim

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:12 pm

Tim,
Check underneath and make sure that none of the rollers have any flanges missing. Check front idlers for loose bushings.
I know a friend of mine fought this until I rebushed his rails, then it was cured. Turning will not help, all it does is shorten the track somewhat, but does not help the snake.
Lavoy

tomcat4144
430 crawler
430 crawler

Track derail

Post by tomcat4144 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:46 pm

ok, will check them out soon as i get a chance. Thanks

Tim