440 icd water in oil

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gdive
40C crawler
40C crawler

440 icd water in oil

Post by gdive » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:19 pm

My 440 was running but it had water in the oil one day when I was going to start it. I have the head off and the pistons out. The gaskets in the water passages between the head and the block are swelled and look bad.
Looking at the sleeves still in place, neither looks cracked. THe crank journals have some ridges about .010 high around them but it didn't knock and the journals have a polished look to them. The bearing shells look remarkably good. Is putting it back together and expecting it to run if treated gently an option? Is it more likely that I have other problems like a cracked block or head? It has #35 injectors in it, I believe that I read something here about a different injector making them start better?
It always has started hard. If you warmed the air cleaner with a heat gun, it helped a lot. Thanks.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:24 pm

It is not the size of the injector, it is the series. You likely have S35's now, what you are probably referring to is N35's. The updated injectors themselves are not why it will start better, it is when they are used in conjunction with N series pistons. These pistons are good for about 4 points worth of compression, and really make the 53 series engines start nice.
I guess if it was mine, and I was that far apart, I would pull the liners to make sure it is not an o-ring leaking. I would also get an N series rebuild kit, I don't think you would ever regret it.
Lavoy

gdive
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by gdive » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:57 pm

Lavoy,

Would this rebuild kit be something that you sell? I have also found a semicircle of steel in the oil pan, it seems to be the other half of a spacer between the end of the crank and the rear main bearing. Would you be able to supply the injectors too?

Thanks
Glenn Divelbiss

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:45 pm

Rebuild kit is no problem, injectors might take a little more work. Problem is, most places will not want to accept S series injectors as cores for N series injectors. I was able to do it once, have not tried it again for a while.
Lavoy