Final drive?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
puttputt
40C crawler
40C crawler

Final drive?

Post by puttputt » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:07 pm

OK I have another dumb question? I pulled the covers of the adjustments for the steering controls,It wont steer to the left. When i pull the steeing lever it appears the pressureplate is moving up and down,when the band tightens on it.the other side does not do this,'
So i guess i have 2 questions. #1 how do you adjust the steering and brake band. and #2 what do you think is the problem with the pressureplate floating around?
Thanks guys

Mark Birdeau
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mark Birdeau » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:09 pm

puttputt, I'll try to answer your second question first. It could be a couple of things. If just the pressure plate is moving it isn't attached tightly to the clutch assembly. If the whole assembly is moving then the bearings are most likely bad. There also are other possibilities like a busted shaft.
As to the first question it is a several step process, the best thing is to have a manual to guide you through it. I don't have my book handy and I don't remember the exact procedure and correct dimensions. Basically, first you need the steering lever held in position to adjust the free play(I use a flat blade screwdriver between the lever and the stop) you then adjust the throw out bearing against the fingers, then the brake band and the brake actuator are adjusted.(I don't remember which gets adjusted first) Hope this helps some and good luck. Mark:

puttputt
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by puttputt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:24 pm

Ok I got her apart and everything looks good,a little rust on the plates.but it has 9 fiber disc,im thinking theres one to many so i leave on out and stick it back together and everything lines up fine and works, or will at least release when i pull the steer lever...BUT. theres 8 fiber discs with teeth to slide over the gear and one with nothing in the centre....
Does the one with nothing in the centre go in first or is it just an oddball someone thru in for a shim???? Thanks guys

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:57 pm

Adding an extra disc is a common band-aid fix for a bad clutch, and lack of a clutch adjusting gauge. All fiber discs have teeth, the one you have without teeth is stripped out, and needs to be replaced.
What crawler are you working on?
lavoy

puttputt
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by puttputt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:17 pm

Ita a1010. How many plates are suppose to be in it.? It has 7 steel and 9 fiber..The problem with the steering seemed to be too many disc.the pressure plate fingers were against the pressureplate and when i removed one disc the fingers came back up and seems like it might work now..

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 pm

1010 can vary by serial number, and/or if the brake drum has been changed. The were either 8 fiber, 7 steel, or 8 fiber, 8 steel. Some of the drums are marked in the casting as to whether you start with a fiber or steel.
Lavoy

puttputt
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by puttputt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanks Lavoy, I will go check the drum now and see if i can see any markings.What am i looking for ?

puttputt
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by puttputt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:17 pm

I would think it would go drum ,fiber,steel ,fiber,steel fiber and so on. What happens if u put 2 fiber together? or 2 steel ? thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:25 pm

The only difference is whether you start with a steel or a fiber. Look at the bottom of the drum around the center hub that goes over the pinion shaft. You will have to have the drum clean, the letters are small and shallow, but I think it says what disc to start with. If it is fiber, then it is a 15 plate clutch, if it is steel, then it is a 16 plate clutch.
If you run two similar discs together, you forfeit 2 friction surfaces because there is no intermediate disc for them to drive or be driven by.
Lavoy

puttputt
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by puttputt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks Lavoy, Now if I could just find a service manual

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:09 am

I had an extra one, but must have sold it. I dug through my literature and catalogs last night and could not find it.
Lavoy