Reman Hydraulic Pumps?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Lowly
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Lowly » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:13 pm

OK, some answers, some questions, some news. Turns out, as you said, mine is not a 3010 pump. It is the same pump as from a 2355. I got it out, found that the main shaft felt rough when I turned it and seeing as it only has a few hours of actual operation on it since it was gone through last summer, took it back to the deere mechanic that worked on it. The bad news is that the pump had a lot of small metal bits in the crankcase. One of the bits was big enough to look like the very tip of a gear. The pistons were stuck back in thier cylinders, some of the rollers on one of the bearings were chewed up.

I'm wondering if the filter bypass valve could be stuck open and I'm pulling crap right out of the bottom of the transmission. Where else could this stuff be coming from? I changed the oil and filter last spring when I first started this adventure. The filter was older than it should have been, mostly because I don't put that many hours on this tractor, but it looked normal when I pulled it out.

The good news is that the mechanic had the exact same pump sitting in a bucket under his bench. Somebody wanted a new one and he could see this one just needed a new seal kit, so he tucked it away. He gave it to me, I bought the seal kit and when time permits I'll put them together and see what I've got. He thinks my old pump is toast with all the damage in the crankcase.

Any suggestions other than the filter bypass? Do they ever just fail? Any other place this stuff could be coming from?