Parts availability for the next week or two slow at best

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Parts availability for the next week or two slow at best

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:50 am

Just an FYI to everyone, sorry for the inconvenience and/or delay, but I will likely be unavailable to ship many parts for the next week or two. I have too many friends and relatives that are in danger of going under water without flood preparation, so I need to be there. I will ship what I can, when I can. I will check messages and posts at night if I get home and have time. I will ship what parts I can get ready when I am home, but I am guessing it will be slow. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Lavoy

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Good Luck Lavoy. Be safe.
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

robk
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by robk » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:28 am

Hey King Lavoy, you are in the nations' prayers. Let us know what's going on. =Rob
2 1010 loaders
1 Massey Ferguson loader backhoe
3 Dodge Power Wagons
1 Wife
3 Kids

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:58 pm

I am sicker than a dog after getting soaked in the snow storm while sandbagging on Sunday. I was functional until yesterday, pretty much on couch duty today, so have not been out really at all.
All in all seems to be pretty good, have not received any more calls from Moorehead to haul sandbags, so they must be catching up. The red has dropped for the time being, but they think it will go up some tonight. 3-7" of snow coming here with 30-50 MPH winds, over a foot predicted west of me.
Lavoy

robk
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by robk » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:28 pm

What does "haul sandbags" mean? You get to drive an Autocar ten wheel drive snowplow or you get to catch a sandbag in your arms and pass it to the next guy in a conga-line in a snowstorm like we've been seeing on TV?

They had an interesting story on NPR about how they recycle sandbags after the flood. Sand goes to concrete mix. Bags go to recycling.

Here's what I don't understand: I see video of people shoveling sand into the bags. Isn't there a simple machine that would keep a "stream" of sand falling like a coffee grinder at the supermarket and you just put bag after bag under the stream to fill them a mile a minute?
2 1010 loaders
3 Dodge Power Wagons
1 Wife
3 Kids

rvbarkley
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by rvbarkley » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:10 pm

Prayers are with everyone and the high water, hope the cold slows it down. Live east of Cincinnati on the Ohio river, know what floods are. Cold weather is a blessing because it slows it down.....there is a saying though that "the river always comes back to get it's ice" More often than not it does....hope not this time. Prayers

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:00 pm

I was hauling with my pickup and 5th wheel trailer. I am smaller than the semi's, and can get into the neighborhoods better. As to a sandbag machine, keep in mind that most of the time, especially where I was hauling, the bags are going in a residential area. With landscaping, A/C units, etc, you can not even get a skid steer in most of them. So, they form long lines, and move them in from the street one at a time. The bags also have to be placed in somewhat of an interlocking fashion, kind of like building a wall out of legos, but in an inverted "V" shapte.
Last Sunday when we were bagging a friends house in Moorehead, we were hauling bags on two ATV's, and an 855 Deere compact utility tractor from the front yard where we were making them by hand.
If you are sandbagging your individual house, you have to make your own bags for the most part. I was hauling for the city of Moorehead, and all of the bags I hauled only went one place, to a retention dike on the south side of town, that strung through many, many backyards, and protected a large area versus one single house.
Lavoy

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:06 pm

One thing I forgot to mention as far as sandbags. While the city of Fargo does have a machine that "fills" multiple sandbags at a time, a human has to hold the bag. I don't know what the output of that machine is, but with it, and individuals bagging totally by hand, they were doing 1/2 million bags a day. As of yesterday, they were over 3,000,000 sandbags completed, all by humans. That figure does not include all the bags filled by individuals for their own, or someone else's home.
They took yesterday off, but started again 24 hours a day this morning. They had 300,000 filled bags in reserve, and want to add more to it, all in heated storage so they are useable. Filled bags stored outside at this temp are almost useless.
The guard also has 60 1 ton sand bombs filled and ready to set by Blackhawk helicopter.
Lavoy

robk
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by robk » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:15 pm

That answers it. I was wondering if there wasn't some sort of sandbag filling machine. What a story. Out here in TV land, we really have no sense of the everyday details.
2 1010 loaders
3 Dodge Power Wagons
1 Wife
3 Kids