420c governor worn?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
jdjohng
40C crawler
40C crawler

420c governor worn?

Post by jdjohng » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:03 pm

Is the pictured damage something of concern or should it be considered normal? The brass washer that goes between the block and the governor shaft is pretty worn could that be causing the wear on the timing gear and timing gear cover? Thanks for any input.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:55 pm

That is similar to the wear I found when I tore my all fuel apart. The governor was junk, and had peeled parts of 27 teeth of the cam gear. I attribute it to oil related failure. Look very closely at the governor weights, mine were loose on the pins and wobbled like crazy.
Lavoy

jdjohng
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jdjohng » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:13 pm

Yes Lavoy The weights are kind of wobbly and the brass thrust washer is worn out. I have decided not to put it back together without rebuilding/replacing the governor. Is there a rebuild kit available from you for this governor? If so I will add it to my list of parts I will be getting from you soon. Thanks.

On another subject.... I was wondering if you have ever seen the oil supply line for the valve train get plugged or restricted? I took the valve cover off to adjust the valves and it looks pretty dry in there. Thanks again.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:35 pm

No kits available that I know of, I guess I have neer even checked to see if individual parts are available. I usually keep a thrust washer on hand.
I have never seen the oil line plug, but I have had the rear cam bushing installed wrong which prevents the oil from getting to the head, and also starves the rear cam bushing for oil as well. One other possibility is that the cup pluc in the back of the block has been seated too deep and is covering the oil hole to the oil line. Take the line off and start the engine, it sometimes take a few seconds for the oil to come out, but it is not a real flow.
In case your are wondering how I know this, yes I did find out the hard way on an engine years ago.
Lavoy

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:19 pm

I bought a pair of governer pins and weights from Deere about 6 months ago and about had a heart attack. Those weights aren't cheap but everything I needed to rebuild mine, was available.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

jdjohng
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by jdjohng » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:47 am

Thanks for the info. I just sent out for a parts manual so I can get some part numbers and check availability locally.