I think stupid might be setting in......

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

I think stupid might be setting in......

Post by gus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:50 am

I don't have my 420 dozer running yet (haven't even started on it) and I'm thinking of buying a 420 loader crawler (also a basket case). :roll:

The thing is, I will need a loader first for a major job. I have a small JD 4 wheel dr tractor but the loader is SMALL. I need to move some material. I won't need the dozer until the snow falls again (it's actually white above me right now from last night). :lol:

Another question. Both tractors have broken tranny cases. The loader has a reverser. If I get it, both will be torn down and I could put the reverser in either. Which one??????????????? I'm leaning toward the loader since it would probably be forward/back more as they will be used. Any thoughts on that?
Gus

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: I think stupid might be setting in......

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:11 am

gus wrote:The thing is, I will need a loader first for a major job. I have a small JD 4 wheel dr tractor but the loader is SMALL. I need to move some material.
How major a job are you talking? I wouldn't even consider my 2010 crawler loader for a major job. You may be better off renting equipment for a short period is this is a critical job to get done quickly with no delays. Just a thought.
gus wrote:Another question. Both tractors have broken tranny cases. The loader has a reverser. If I get it, both will be torn down and I could put the reverser in either. Which one??????????????? I'm leaning toward the loader since it would probably be forward/back more as they will be used. Any thoughts on that?
I personally would want the reverser on the loader- while you can backdrag with a dozer blade you generally get your power pushing forward so wouldn't need to back as much. With a loader, it seems like I am constantly backing up to go from stockpile to the truck or dump spot or for backdragging material I dumped from the bucket.

Having said that, a reverser may be nice on a dozer if you had long parallel pushes in the same direction.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Tiger,
3 weeks back the ground got super saturated and the bank behind my shop gave way. It trapped pools of water and water was running out of the hillside all over the place. Most wet springs I've ever seen. I've been fighting a flooded office and shop off and on for three weeks as it kept letting go. I need to get back there and dig it out. I was able to beat out 3' of rock and get the small excavator back in to relieve the water. Only got in about 6' but that was where the big springs were. I dug a drain line out over the front bank to get rid of most of the water.

The problem: There is only 5-6' of space to work in, very limited access, rocks, some BIG rocks, and that is at one end. The other end also has about 5-6' of space but is a solid rock wall (3' of which I have beat out). The entire 100' of back bank sluffed off (it's about 4-5' deep). It's a really good thing I used a 4' concrete back wall before framing.

Right now anything in there would sink in the mud. Late summer will be dig time. It will probably consist of taking the small excavator in there and digging things loose and removing big rocks. Back the excav out then take a loader in and remove the mess. No room to turn, just go in, load, and back out. There is no turn room at either end as the shop and adjoining shed were built into a hill side. There is no flat land here.

A crawler would be ideal as I can make a sharp turn to get out. I cannot get a big crawler in there. I sold a 933 CAT loader and I could probably rent it back, but I don't think I could get it in there.
Gus

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:22 pm

If you need the loader first, fix it and install the reverser in it. Then while you are doing the dozer, look for a complete reverser from a parts crawler, or buy another parts crawler :lol: , see where this is going don't ya?
Lavoy

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:58 pm

Lavoy wrote:If you need the loader first, fix it and install the reverser in it. Then while you are doing the dozer, look for a complete reverser from a parts crawler, or buy another parts crawler :lol: , see where this is going don't ya?
Lavoy
Yeah, well, when I mentioned the loader to my wife she drug her finger nails down the chalk board behind me :shock: .........twice :shock: :shock:

I'm OK with dragging a new machine home anytime. She's starting to notice the pile of "things" I haven't gotten to yet.

She asked me what I did today and I said "nothing". She said you did that yesterday and I told her "I wasn't finished......." Doc says it'll heal in a week or two. :roll: :roll:

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sat May 09, 2009 5:04 pm

That stupid that was setting was :shock: :lol: :lol: temporary, VERY temporary :lol: :lol:

I had originally talked to the Son of the owner about the loader 420. Yesterday I stopped for a close look and to talk to the actual owner.

The tractor IS all there......I think.......hard to say really. The track frames were and the tracks were still on them. Snow cleats. The engine ran great.......the head was off :? :roll:

The tranny was all over the bench.....mixed with quite a bit of other stuff. The reverser wasn't working so they were going to leave it out and put a straight tube in..... :roll: :roll:

Finals and steering were sitting outside in various places :roll: :roll:

Actually there were a lot of small parts scattered around :roll: :roll:

Oh yes, there was a flat plate they cut out to remove something. It was there someplace to and could "easily be welded back in".

I won't even say how much he wanted for it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: