timing gears

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
phil morrissette
MC crawler
MC crawler

timing gears

Post by phil morrissette » Tue May 05, 2009 2:03 pm

I have a jd1010 crawler loader gas. I hear the 2 timing gears on the diesel models need to be near perfect to run well but how about the gears on a gas unit ? I'm rebuilding my engine and I note wear on them. Does anyone have a new set for sale at a reasonable price ? thank you, phil

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Tue May 05, 2009 9:06 pm

unless they are worn down to thin as razors they should be fine how much wear? do you have?
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

jdemaris

Re: timing gears

Post by jdemaris » Wed May 06, 2009 6:40 pm

phil morrissette wrote:I have a jd1010 crawler loader gas. I hear the 2 timing gears on the diesel models need to be near perfect to run well but how about the gears on a gas unit ? I'm rebuilding my engine and I note wear on them. Does anyone have a new set for sale at a reasonable price ? thank you, phil
I've been around 2010s since they first came out from Deere, and I never heard that claim about the timing gears. Worked at three Deere dealerships and this is the first I've heard it. Any Deere with a Stanadyne rotary pump can benefit from the static timing being bumped up a degree or so after the engine gets some general overall wear - but nothing like that story. In fact, I recently had to do the same with my Cummins diesel in my Dodge truck.

phil morrissette
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: timing gears

Post by phil morrissette » Thu May 07, 2009 6:10 pm

jdemaris wrote:
phil morrissette wrote:I have a jd1010 crawler loader gas. I hear the 2 timing gears on the diesel models need to be near perfect to run well but how about the gears on a gas unit ? I'm rebuilding my engine and I note wear on them. Does anyone have a new set for sale at a reasonable price ? thank you, phil
I've been around 2010s since they first came out from Deere, and I never heard that claim about the timing gears. Worked at three Deere dealerships and this is the first I've heard it. Any Deere with a Stanadyne rotary pump can benefit from the static timing being bumped up a degree or so after the engine gets some general overall wear - but nothing like that story. In fact, I recently had to do the same with my Cummins diesel in my Dodge truck.
my jd dealer said this when i inquired about buying new gears.

phil morrissette
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by phil morrissette » Thu May 07, 2009 6:19 pm

jtrichard wrote:unless they are worn down to thin as razors they should be fine how much wear? do you have?
not nearly that much wear just enough to see and feel. if they are not that critical i may use them. also i found a new crank gear but not the cam gear. can i replace just the smaller crank gear that shows more wear?

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Thu May 07, 2009 9:41 pm

yes you can replace just the one gear i douth you need to replace either one though
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sat May 09, 2009 8:18 pm

The engine only runs one way so slack in the timing gears does not matter as long as timing is set with the slack taken up (engine slowly turned to the timing point without backing up).

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Sun May 10, 2009 7:15 am

Ray III wrote:The engine only runs one way so slack in the timing gears does not matter as long as timing is set with the slack taken up (engine slowly turned to the timing point without backing up).
Yes, pretty much applies to any diesel. If you adjust the injection pump to make up for wear and slack, the cam and valve timing can still be a bit off, but I've never seen it make any difference in performance- and I've tested many on a dyno. And, to be techical, you can also make up for late valve timing by the way you adjust the valves - but it's not worth the bother.