oil filter parts

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

oil filter parts

Post by millertym2 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:54 pm

I just changed the oil on my mc,when I changed the filter I noticed most of the gaskets were missing. 2 questions.

1st- were can I find new gaskets and seals ect. I have part#'s.

2nd-it has been neglected for a while,how can I clean all that black sludgy oil out of the engine? I have heard from the old/experienced farmers that I can dump kerosene through the engine and that will get most of it out. Anyone got any tricks?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:37 pm

There should only be one gasket (o-ring) necessary when changing oil. Normally a new one will come with the filter.
You can pour kerosene through, you can run it for a VERY short time at IDLE with the crancase full of kerosene, you can run a quart of Motor Flush through it before you change it, and probably a host of other things. One thing to do is make sure the engine is at operating temp before draining. This is a little tough on an MC unless you put something in front of the radiator, or work it hard on a hot day.
It is not terribly hard to pull the pan and clean it out, that will help a bunch as well.
Lavoy

JD40c
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JD40c » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:47 am

Wouldn't a good grade of modern detergent oil do an okay job of cleaning it out if you run short oil change intervals for a while? Or is the sludge really that nasty?

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:15 am

millertym2-

I think I'd do as JD40c suggested. Has been my experience that sometimes when you try to clean one too fast (all the sludge at once) you end up with chunks coming loose and blocking oil passages. I'd probably just use some good oil and change it on a short interval for awhile. Then maybe some motor flush or something of that nature. Ofcourse everyone has thier own method.

Jimmy in NC

millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by millertym2 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:33 am

I think I will just change the oil at short intervals.Since its not really sludgy just really black. It had some sludge in the filter housing at the drain plug. But not alot.

In the parts book it showed a couple gaskets and spring in there. I will have to check it out more

Thanks for your advise--millertym2.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:39 am

Now I think I know what you are talking about. The spring is up inside of the canister, and does not get removed, it is part of the nut that holds the canister on. The only part that normally gets lost is the M88T oil filter plate.
Lavoy

millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by millertym2 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:00 am

You got it. I just called my local JD dealer and the only part he didnt have was the plate at the bottom. And they are not avalable anymore.

I can find some thing to replace it in my extensive junk collection. Or just make new one. Thanks again Lavoy!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:05 pm

I have new plates for $5 if you don't find something.
Lavoy

millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

update

Post by millertym2 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:43 pm

Hey all. Over the thanksgiving weekend I had plenty of time to get caught up on my mc project.

I flushed the engine with kerosene. I used 1 gallon of kero. and just filled and drained it. I did the same thing again and cranked the engine over about a dozen revolutions or so. Then I drained the oil filter housing and poured 2 quarts of oil through the engine and let drain for a while.

I refilled the engine and ran it for a while(with a new filter of course). Since we got almost 2 feet of snow(in NY) I played outside in the snow for a half hour. Drained the oil and refilled one last time. Now she's like brand new. Well oil wise--new.

Now I just have to free up the RH clutch's and get a new pressure plate. And put the old girl to use again.

I made the bottom plate for the oil filter and didnt need the top seal. The new John Deere filter has a soft top and bottom that seals. Thanks again for the advise.