1010 loader vs. dozer question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Rick Kr
430 crawler
430 crawler

1010 loader vs. dozer question

Post by Rick Kr » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:25 am

Morning.

I have found a somewhat decent gas 1010 loader/rops and winch, but I am looking for the dozer blade.

Is this too much to tackle tearing off the loader and rops, then hunting down a dozer blade? Or should I keep looking until I find a dozer setup?

I am not real familar with the differences but it looks like the loader is mounted inside the tracks and the dozer blade on the outside. Do or can the tracks be moved in or out to do this change?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:12 am

If you want a dozer, look for a dozer, too much work to convert, and you will need another complete hyd system to do the swap. By the time you find a blade and hyd system, you will probably have half the price of a dozer crawler just in those two things.
Lavoy

Rick Kr
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Rick Kr » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks Lavoy,

I didn't know the hydraulics had to go to. I am not in a hurry so I have plenty of time to shop around.

Thanks again.
Rick

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Lavoy can confirm this, but I believe that there are both outside and inside mounted blades for the 1010 dozers.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:16 pm

Correct, in terms of factory blades, there are 3 inside arm, and one outside arm. By model number, there are probably two outside, but they are the same blade, just one is able to tilt.
Lavoy

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:14 pm

Lavoy,
What would have to be replaced in the hydraulic system to switch from a loader to a bulldozer? They are both open center controls aren't they? Just curious. I was considering putting a bulldozer blade on one of my dismantled loader machines.
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:35 pm

The loader valve is part of the loader, no place to mount it once the loader is gone for the most part. Loader uses almost double the hyd pump, on a dozer, things will be moving pretty fast. You could restrict it down, but you will creat a lot of heat that way too.
Lavoy

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:33 pm

Lavoy wrote:The loader valve is part of the loader, no place to mount it once the loader is gone for the most part. Loader uses almost double the hyd pump, on a dozer, things will be moving pretty fast. You could restrict it down, but you will creat a lot of heat that way too.
Lavoy
The dozers use exactly the same pump as the loaders if ordered with the "optional" pump. Standard dozer uses a Cessna 13 GPM pump. Dozer ordered with optional pump is a Cessna 23 GPM pump. Loader comes standard with the same Cessna 23 GPM pump.

We sold many 350 dozers with the bigger pump. No negative issues. In fact, the difference is hardly noticeable except, the bigger pump makes the dozer work much nicer with optional attachments, like a rear backhoe, ripper, etc. Runs a 6 way blade better too, especially at low RPMs.

By the way, I'm stating pump ratings, using "Deere" speak. In reality, GPMs mean nothing if not stated along with RPMs. The easy way to ID the pumps is the size of the shafts. The small pumps have 3/4" splined shafts, and the large ones have 7/8" splined shafts (if my memory is correct).