Gearmatic Model 8-A Winch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
odinrp
40C crawler
40C crawler

Gearmatic Model 8-A Winch

Post by odinrp » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm

I have a Gearmatic Model 8-A winch on the back of my 40 C crawler.
The winch works fine and it shifts into gear easily. It really pulls and I have to get the back of the crawler against a stump so the crawler stays in place while pulling a tree into position for cutting.

My problem is the cable will not easily come out once wound up. The winch roller is very tight and even two persons cannot pull it out. My method now is to hook the cable to a chain on a stump or tree and drive away until the cable is out and then back into position with one person guiding the winch cable. A two man operation does not seem correct.

On the winch are three indented one inch caps that appear to be lubricating ports. Is this correct? I guess my questions are thus.

1. Is there somewhere to get a service bulletin for this winch that includes lubricating instructions?

2. Does the winch require lubrication and how is this done? What types and weight of lubricant do you use?

3. If the caps are removeable, how is this accomplished? With a vice grip?

4. Is there a release somewhere for the drum to allow the cable to be pulled out more easily? I am certain the drum is too tight, but I do not know how to fix this and/or lubricate.

Thanks for advise and guidance.
Odinrp

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi:
I sent you a private message. I can send you a copy of the winch manual. best regards and good luck. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:26 pm

If the winch has a shifter, it is an 8G, not 8A, an 8A is a hyd actuated winch.
If you can't spool the cable out, you need to adjust the brake band, or brake lever.
There are two smalll bung plugs on the top LH side of the winch. Remove the farthest forward and you pour gear lube in there. There is a 1/8" pipe plug on the side of the winch that is the level plug.
Lavoy

odinrp
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by odinrp » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:59 am

Lavoy;
Thanks for the information. I will check again on the model number. I read 8-A, but my eyes are not what they used to be. It has a shifter so it must be an 8-G.

Paul;
I would love to have a copy of the manual, but I cannot find the private message. How do I access the message?

Best regards
Randy Peterson
Odinrp

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:40 am

Randy,
It is possible that someone has installed the shifter plate and drum from an 8G into an 8A housing,
Lavoy

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:37 pm

Randy: I resent a pm, but but just in case, I asked you to send me your email address so I can send you an attached copy of the Gearmatic 8a/g winch manual. Gil shared a copy with me awhile ago, and I made a .pdf copy which I can send as an attachment. Paul

pbuhler@vermontel.net
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:21 pm

odinrp wrote:Paul;
I would love to have a copy of the manual, but I cannot find the private message. How do I access the message?

Best regards
Randy Peterson
Odinrp
At the top of the page click on Messages.

odinrp
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by odinrp » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Paul;
Thanks so much for the service manual for the winch and Lavoy thanks for identifying the bung holes for me. I was able to open four bungs;

The silver bungs just under the seat on the right and left side were inspection holes for the bands and were dry.

The third bung beind the seat on the left side was also an inspection hole and was dry.

The fourth bung located farther out from the third bung was the gear oil resevior and about 1/3 up from the bottom was the oil level plug. I removed the plug and added 90 weight gear oil. It took 1 1/2 quarts before oil came out of the plug. I closed everything up and am ready to run except now it will not start. I think it is because I am on an incline of about 6 degrees and gas is not getting to the cylinders so when I have time I will pull the plugs and add some gas. (The tank is full but the plugs are dry) Once started I can see how the winch works.

Thanks again
Randy Peterson
odinrp

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi: Glad you got the manual. Regarding the gas, check for flow starting at the tank. Crud can plug the tank outlet or the small screen in the carb inlet if it's still there, and obviously internal ports and jets. I have a carb manual which I've just sent you too. Good luck. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT