Clutch Tool

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Frustrated440owner
40C crawler
40C crawler

Clutch Tool

Post by Frustrated440owner » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:18 am

Lavoy,

I think I need some help understanding exactly how to use the clutch tool to measure the pressure plate fingers. I placed the tool perpendicularly to the drum. The only way it can actually touch the drum is to place it over the outside of the fingers (right above the bolts that adjust the fingers up and down). Is this the correct place to measure the height of the fingers? It doesn't seem right to me. If I put the tool over the other side of the fingers (where the throw out bearing touches), the tool doesn't come close to touching the drum. And it would hit the pressure plate body before it would meet the drum anyways.

Ken

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:42 am

The ends of the gauge rest on the face of the drum, and you adjust the fingers until they just clear the spot marked STEERING on the tool.
Lavoy

Frustrated440owner
40C crawler
40C crawler

Clutch Tool

Post by Frustrated440owner » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:30 am

Lavoy,

I'm assuming the end of the clutch finger your talking about is the end that touches the throw out bearing?

Ken

Frustrated440owner
40C crawler
40C crawler

Clutch Tool

Post by Frustrated440owner » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:00 pm

Lavoy,

A second question concerning this problem. When I had the drum and the pressure plate off my final two weeks ago, I placed the drum on a table without any disks inside of it. I then set the pressure plate onto the drum into the proper grooves (obviously without bolts). I put the gauge tool over the middle of the pressure plate body (next to a clutch finger but not over it). The gauge tool ends don't reach the drum. Why is this? There is no possible way to move the pressure plate body any closer to the drum. Maybe it would be easier to send you a picture to show you. Do you have any pictures of a pressure plate properly attached to a drum?

Ken

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:13 pm

The entire clutch must be assembled and on the final drive before any adjustments can be done. Trying to do it otherwise will not work. The gauge is a reference point based on the face of the brake drum.
Yes I mean the part of the finger that the throwout bearing pushes against.
Lavoy