axle slop question?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

axle slop question?

Post by Swawpy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:48 pm

Just a quick one since my manuals are 3 hrs away right now.... I am putting new sprockets on a 40c and noticed a bit of play on the left axle flange. Off-hand is any play non-acceptable, or will it live with just a bit? I have not measured anything, only felt by hand. The old sprocket wore about 1/8" groove in the shoe/stop just foward of the sprocket. It feels like about 1/8" by hand- enough to feel it anyway.

Thanks

I should add that one axle flange has 3 dowels and the other side uses 3 shouldered bolts. Dont know if it matters much...but shows somethings been changed out somewhere along the line.

jeff Kemp
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jeff Kemp » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:13 am

sounds like y ou have some bad bearings. This is a common problem on these machines I have had two and they both had the same problem. The 440 I am working on now has the same issue. I would replace them if it were me. Take a large pry bar and put it on your frame rails. Put the other end on your sprocket and lift up. If you have 1/8" by hand you will have more this way. If you use the machine you will cause wear and tear on the drive gears in the final and they are big bucks to fix. Thats just my two cents. Good luck!

Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Swawpy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:37 am

Thanks Jeff- I figured as much! Well the track is already split and the sprocket pulled so I guess nows the time!

Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

loose axle

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:40 am

hello, i just went thru the same thing on my 420,on the back side of the axle there is a cover held on by two bolts, when i took this cover off i could see there was two bolts that was ready to fall out. i dont know how they became so loose other then wear and tear, i tightened the two bolts and the slop went away. not sure if thats the cure all but maybe worth a look. Eric

440dozer
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 440dozer » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:07 pm

the two bolts you are talking about should have a metal lock tab to keep them from turning and behind the cover you should have some shims to take up slack.
1959 440icd w/831 loader

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: loose axle

Post by Ray III » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:08 pm

Eric.MacLeod wrote:hello, i just went thru the same thing on my 420,on the back side of the axle there is a cover held on by two bolts, when i took this cover off i could see there was two bolts that was ready to fall out. i dont know how they became so loose other then wear and tear, i tightened the two bolts and the slop went away. not sure if thats the cure all but maybe worth a look. Eric
You can also shim the cap to move the bearings closer together, if there is still life on the bearings. Look at the ends of the rollers, if they have marks from rubbing on the flange of the inner race, they have gotten too small and you need new bearings.

Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

bearings

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:36 pm

i didnt check the shape of the bearings, now i guess well it is apart i will put new seals and bearings in. i hope the axle doesnt need welding like some of the ones ive read about on here. to many projects not enough time.. Eric..

jeff Kemp
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by jeff Kemp » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:03 am

I am in the same boat as you now. My 440 has the same issue. While you have it apart check and see if the seal going to the clutches is bad. If there is oil on your clutches then it went out. Might as well replace those clutch discs because if you dont the machine will stop turning and you will have to tear it all apart again. I would buy the entire bearing kit and fiber clutches at least.

Good luck

Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

clutch seals

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:57 pm

hi jeff,, i have new metallic clutches, throw out bearings,brakes,bearings,seals springs and tubes, i have taken the part for the throw out bearing apart, greased the three balls up and replaced it with new spings. where are the seals? do the tubes slide into them? i must have overlooked them. i bought all new seals and bearings that go into the finals that are laying on my floor. except for the axles which i will get now. thanks if i missed some seals i would like to put them in.. Eric

Swawpy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Swawpy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for the tips. I pulled the cover off the inside of the final and checked those two bolts mentioned by eric and mine where loose also. I took them out along with the heavy washer just to get a look and put back together. I dont think they have anything to do with preload so I ordered a variety of shims to see if I can get things in spec. These are the shims that go under the two bolt cover on the inside of the final. .002, .005, and .010 acorrding to the manual.

It would be great if I can just shim back to spec (I think .003-.007?) but that is not usually how my luck turns out.

Thanks for the help!