John Deere 1010

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
k1burner
MC crawler
MC crawler

John Deere 1010

Post by k1burner » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:56 pm

You will have to excuse my ignorance, I understand farm tractors and airplanes but know nothing about crawlers, other than having operated them a few hours. I am looking at a John Deere 1010 Loader crawler. What can you folks tell me about them, good bad and ugly. This particular one has a winch and what I would guess to be a 3/4 to 1 yard bucket on the front.

Weight as configured?

Current owner says one lag runs faster than the other (drifts when going straight) My question is how difficult is it to change the steering clutches and the cost to do such a thing? Parts or to have professionally done?

What are these worth as far as a range with it running (not smoking) fair paint, needing a steering clutch job, gas engine?

How does this machine compare to a first generation JD350?

Thanks for any help you can provide, since I don't know about crawlers I cannot help but I know airplanes, and farm tractors if anyone has questions I can return the favor with.

Mark

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:37 am

I have had a 1010 loader for about 5 years,it has been a good little machine for what I use it for,odd jobs around the farm.
it will clear brush and dig out small stumps,any thing with size to it will stop it in it's tracks.
the 1010 series engine has parts in it that are scarce and expensive,you will spent alot in a hurry for internal engine parts.
track wear is another problem,if the machine has a worn out undercarriage.....lots of money to make that right also.
they are also underpowered and easily overworked doing heavy digging.
a steering clutch will cost somewhere around 600.00 or so for the side,just parts no labor,could be more"alot more" if you have damage with final drive bearings or gears.
350 series are more powerful,better engine design and overall a much better machine.
with all the gloom about the 1010,I still love the tractor for doing the little jobs and tasks I have used it for.

k1burner
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010c loader

Post by k1burner » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:38 pm

This one runs (according to the seller, although I have not heard it yet) they said it drifts to the left when driving straight but steers ok (guessing its a clutch slipping loader looks to be in good condition along with the winch. I am not sure what scrap prices are worth but they are asking $1200.00 for it. Does this sound reasonable, or should I run away as fast as I can (coincidentally thats not real fast).
Thanks
Mark

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:09 pm

if the undercarriage has any life left that would seem like a very good price for a machine that runs and moves.
the steering clutch would have to be almost free wheeling to make it track to one side like that,most times they freeze up solid,I would be very weary of that,could be something more serious going on.
don't get me wrong,1010 loaders are great little "homeowner machines",they're fun to use and do a great deal of work for their size.
as long as you like working on machinery and can do your own work they are a great machine for odd jobs that may popup from time to time.

k1burner
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010C

Post by k1burner » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:58 pm

PICTURES
[/img]

Last edited by k1burner on Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mini kahuna » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:07 pm

it may be the angle of the picture,but the right side front idler looks very worn out.

k1burner
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010c

Post by k1burner » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:12 pm

the other side

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:34 pm

From the pictures, this crawler is definitely worth $1200 if it runs and steers. You may need to put some money into it - maybe even a couple of thousand dollars if you find problems - but you would still be OK.

My only concern is your question about having someone else do your steering clutches for you. If you cannot work on the unit yourself you may find that it can dig a hole for you in more ways than one. That is true of any older machine. The JD1010 is not particularly hard to work on.
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

k1burner
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010c

Post by k1burner » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:41 pm

I can do most of the work my problem right now is I am without a shop, so its tarp and good weather unless it is something I can bring inside half a bay of a 2 car garage. Just curious what kind of special tooling is required, I have done about everything to a farm tractor but have no experience with crawlers, I would guess big hammers and a porta power would be essential....

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:49 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Sat May 25, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:27 pm

It's hard to tell from the pics, but the undercarriage looks worn based on the sprocket teeth. The track pads are worn and don't have much life left in them.

If you look closely, the adjusters are at the end of their travel on the trackframe. I am not sure why they are so loose, as I don't think internal bushing wear alone would cause that much looseness. I wonder if someone didn't take 2010 tracks and put them on the 1010 (the 2010 has same bushing/pin diameter, rails, and track pads but has extra links).

Unless you don't plan on using the machine much, I am guessing that some undercarriage work will be needed which is pricey and difficult to find parts. That may be why owner wants to sell so cheap.

There are certainly positives- the winch and brush cage (not sure if it is a true ROPS) are probably worth $1200, even before parting out or scrapping the rest of the machine.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:02 pm

The first question you have to ask yourself is if you want to own the crawler longterm, or is it just to do one project, and then get rid of it. You are going to have to put some money in it, I guarantee it. At the very least, you might be looking at steering clutches, and probably some undercarriage work. When done, you will likely have more in the crawler than it is worth, but if you want to own it longterm, that is really irrelevant. If you keep the crawler for years, you have to deduct from what you have in it, what it would have cost you to have the work it does custom done, or at least the cost of rental to rent a machine to do it yourself. If you just want to do one job and then sell the crawler, don't bother, just hire it done.
As to price, you are buying a winch and arch, and getting a crawler for free, really no downside at all.
Lavoy

Lowly
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Lowly » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:15 pm

Does an arch like that bolt to the crawler or to the winch? Is it possible to put one on a 420 with a Gearmatic 8A?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:25 pm

It bolts to both. Yes there was an arch to put on the two cylinders with a Gearmatice, no the one in the pic will not fit a two cylinder.
Lavoy

Rick Kr
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Rick Kr » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:34 am

I've been away from the forum for a while. I looked at this crawler the day they put it out. They were originally asking $3250 around July 1 I believe. They have really come down in price.

This is on M-59 by Milford right??

Lavoy, this is the one I asked how hard it would be to convert to a dozer blade.

Rick