440ic steering clutch, need help please!!!!

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Crawlerbrad
420 crawler
420 crawler

440ic steering clutch, need help please!!!!

Post by Crawlerbrad » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:27 pm

ok so i am working on my 440ic and the left track would turn and work good other then it would not engage the clutch to turn to the left. so i took the final drive off and the brake band was worn to where there was no lining on it at all. so i talked to lavoy and he has been great on getting me parts. ok so to my question. when i put the steering clutch together and put the final drive back on the crawler and started up the crawler and pulled the right lever and let the left side turn that was up in the air with the track off and when i pulled the lever for the left side it would not stop turning i adjusted the brake band alittle tighter and you can hear the engine labor like it is trying to stop it but the clutch is still not working right. i did replace the fiber disk and the metal disk looked ok other then a little and i mean little junk on them. i did notice when i put the pressure plate on it was under a good bit of pressure more then it was when i took it apart. and i know that is the way it is to be because it has to have pressure on the plates to make it drive and not slip but i dont know what is going on to why it will not work. the fingers are doing what the are to be doing and after i installed the final drive i adjusted the through out bearing up to the fingers. i can feel the through out bearing pushing on the fingers but it will not disengage the clutch. so what is going on???? i did not replace the through out bearing it looked good to me. but then again i have not work on anything like this. so can anybody give me some insight on what to do next??? thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 am

Back off the brake band setting a little bit. IF you have some wear in the linkage, sometimes it is difficult to get them to adjust correctly. Usually you end up with too much brake and not enough clutch.
Lavoy

Mark Birdeau
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mark Birdeau » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:45 pm

Did you adjust when the brake band applies. There should be an adjusting screw that starts applying the brake after the clutch starts to disengage. If that screw hits the brake band too soon the brake will apply before the clutch disengages. Mark:

Crawlerbrad
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Crawlerbrad » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:37 pm

yes i did back off the brake band. i had to screw out aall together. i can feel when the through out bearing starts to push on the finger and i can feel pressure on the fingers the whole time but it does not release the clutch. i am wondering if the pressure plate has some crap on it to maybe where it is not letting it release all the way just a little bit but it is not enough to let the clutch plates slip. other then that i am not sure. i will have time this weekend to look at it. i will let everybody know what i find. and lavoy i may be calling you to order a pressure plate. maybe lol thanks

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:24 pm

Brad,
When you reinstalled the pressure plate did you adjust the finger height with the gauge? also is there a lot of slop in your linkage?. Are you sure you put the correct number of steels and fibers back in? If you "replaced what was in there" you may have put too many in if someone in the past put an extra disk in to make up for wear( seems foolish to me concidering the amount of work to r&r a final but I know it gets done)
Just thoughts to comcider,

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

Crawlerbrad
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Crawlerbrad » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:51 pm

yes i did replace them with the right number as far as i know. there was 7 fiber disk and metal disk. 7 fiber and 6 metal that is what the book also said. it is sn 448076 there was no slop in the linkage but i did not set the height of the fingers. maybe that is were i went wrong. did not know about that. how is this done? is it easy to do or do i need a special gauge? thanks chuck

Mark Birdeau
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mark Birdeau » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:50 pm

It's not hard to adjust the fingers but I'm pretty sure you will have to pull the final drive again. I believe there is a special tool but I just measure them with a rule. I set mine at 13/16Th's but this may not be enough on the 440. I thought of another possible problem. Did the hub that the fibre discs spline onto turn free inside the drum when it was apart? I have seen the 2 pieces rusted solidly together.

Mark:

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:57 pm

If you have to pull the final again, you should go over the pressure plate carefully. A weak or broken spring or other wear could cause your problem. After-market pressure plates are available.

Lavoy should have the measurement gauge unless he is out of stock at the moment. The most critical issue is that all fingers be adjusted to the same height so that they release the disks uniformly. Otherwise they will cock sideways and bind.
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

Crawlerbrad
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Crawlerbrad » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:52 pm

ok yeah i am going to have to replace the pressure plate. and get the gauge. thanks for everybodys input.