What order??

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

What order??

Post by gus » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:08 pm

I'm a bit new at dissasembly. Is there a "best order" to take a crawler apart? I don't want any damage from stupidity. :shock: :lol: :lol: I'm talking literally all apart. Not the engine, it OK, but everything else.

I have to replace the tranny case and work on the steering, also fix the rock guards and replace at least one roller. I plan on checking the front idlers as one seems to have more play than I would like.

So far, all the tins off, tracks are off. I'm thinking engine next and then working back. When in the process should the tracks frames come off??

I would like to know where to support what and when. Most is quite obvious, but then again, sometimes I overlook things :roll: :roll: :roll:

One other question. I noticed that there are flat spots on the top rollers. One side is quite noticeable. They roll easily and smoothly so there isn't a bearing problem, but, at some point they must have been jammed and the track slid on them for quite a while. Weld up and turn down, just run them, ????? suggestions?? :?:

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:49 am

I think you are well on the way. I would pull the final after the engine, then trans and center section. If you leave the trackframes til last, they hold everything up a little higher so it is easier to work on. Plus, when all that is left is sideframes and crossbars, they can be lifted up off of the trackframes much easier.
If top idlers get packed in with snow or mud, they can stop turning, hence the flat spots. If you have the ability to fix them, I would.
Lavoy

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks, Lavoy. I'm going out right now to pull the engine.

I have been getting some delays in the process :shock: :shock: ........ Season opened afew days back........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
(the big knife is 15" long)

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:15 pm

I am sure most do this, but I use empty coffee and other cans with plastic lids on them to store all of the bolts and small parts. I place a note in there as to what they are or where they go if it is not obvious.
Some bolts and nuts you would want to replace with new ones such as ones that get torqued to spec.

Nice fish.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:14 pm

The engine is out and on a stand. I had to make some extensions to get it on the stand with the flywheel still in place. Looks a little funny with the headlights still on it. I've been putting the bolts back in place when the part is removed and those I can't are going into a box.

I noticed some play in the sprockets so probably some bearings there too. It's only money :lol: :lol: I really only want to do this once :wink: :wink:

I haven't checked the tach but the cable is shot so I will at least need that and a new glass on it. How hard is it to change the glass?? It's still on the panel. The original fuse was replaced with an inline one. I'm not sure why but the cover on it is missing.

The drive line slid out with the engine. Missing the roll pin?? I understand that's common.

Finals next..............

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:20 am

Check the part where the tach cable attaches to the engine. The drive gear may be stripped also.

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:07 am

Ray III wrote:Check the part where the tach cable attaches to the engine. The drive gear may be stripped also.
When I disconnected the tach, there was a 2" piece of cable still in the engine. The cable housing was pretty rough. When I get time, I'll put a cordless drill on the cable and spin it to see if the tach still works.

Finals are off. One was fine, but..... much water on the left side :cry:, also broken brake band on that side.