Second question about rust.... or.... preventing it

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Second question about rust.... or.... preventing it

Post by gus » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:37 pm

I will be reassembling things and have been considering making it easier for the next person (might be me). :wink:

Do you use an antisieze product on bolts?? The adjustments such as brakes and clutches surely would be easier if rust hasn't set in. Is there a problem with the product migrating to brake or clutch linings?? Are the any bolts where this SHOULDN'T be done :?: :?:

The drain plugs on the clutch housings.......
On my Cat D4 I drilled the plugs and put in large cotters which keep moving and keeping them clear. This lets any water back out. Is this done on JD crawlers??

Is painting the inside of the clutch housing to prevent rust a good idea or a possible problem if it flakes off?? How about sand blasting and a light rubbed in coat of grease??

Questions for the experienced :lol: :lol: I will be at the reassembly point soon I hope and would like to do it right. :D :D

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:10 pm

Any bolt that might have to come back out in the next twenty years, I put anti-seize on. I would not do the 4 studs that hold the clutch housings to the trans case. If I have a crawler torn all the way down, I blast, prime, and paint the inside of the clutch housings.
I seal all the plugs up tight, if everything is sealed properly, no water should get in there that has to get back out, unless you get yourself in too deep! :lol:
Lavoy