tracks stop working

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
frozendozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

tracks stop working

Post by frozendozer » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:57 am

hello all

i have a 440 icd and have just rebuilt the final drive clutches and the final drives themselves. the machine worked good for a short time but now i notice some problems with the tracks now.

when i pull on the levers to run the machine, the apposite track comes to a complete stop. i open the cover and inspected the clutching mechanism and did not notice any oil slipping into the the clutch. so i feel confident that the seals on the final drives are holding. when i push something large, the machine will not stall out. When i pull on the lever and check the opposite clutch, via the open inspection plate, the clutch stops spinning. I am seeing this as no power being transferred to the track.

i am thinking maybe i need to set the main clutch up of the reverser maybe be packing it in. the reverser wont work as it should and i haven't adjusted it either. I topped off the fluid in the reverse with the correct fluid.

please help, any advice would be helpful

Ben.Ehrhart
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Ben.Ehrhart » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:32 pm

I don't think the direction reverser has anything to do with losing power on one side. It sounds like you may need to readjust your throw-out bearing in the final drive that loses power.
If the problem was the direction reverser, you'd have no power to your transmission, and therefore no power to either final drive. Someone else probably knows more about this than I do, but as I understand it problems with the direction reversers were common, and the reverse gear was often just removed. The reverser on my 440 is either enganged or not, but it doesn't reverse.
Ben Ehrhart
JD 440IC SN:441200