New to site/JD could use some 1010 advice

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
tracknut
MC crawler
MC crawler

New to site/JD could use some 1010 advice

Post by tracknut » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:44 am

Greetings everyone. Ive been looking around the site for a couple of days now. Well done,Im learning a bunch. I just recently picked up an early 60's 1010 crawler. Its a basket case, but, from what i could see at the time in half decent shape. Im not sure what the origional reason was for taking it apart, Im thinkin that its overheated(head gasket, crackedt head or something to that effect) There is a bit of wahing in the bottom end mains but the rod bearings look not too bad. I buddy of mine is a Belarus tractor dealer he can get me all the parts i need at cost to rebuild the motor thats the good news.
I got the machine for 500 bucks, right now up here heavy scrap is going for 230 a ton(I have a buddy in that business too) so far I dont think Im doing too bad. The problem I have is when I went to pick up all the parts there is some thing missing I didnt notice/ knew about until recently. The clutch assembly is missing and the "yellow tourque converter looking thing" (previous owners quote not mine ) which i can only assume now that I have been reasearching this little tractor is quite likley the reverser.
Im sorry but I dont even have the numbers off of it yet, but, what I would like to know is what would be a fair price for a good used one or how difficult would it be to bypass it??
This is not going to be a high production machine, Im not going to go to work every day on some constrution job, just around the house and property. This crawler is set up with remote hydraulics at the back and brakets. My buddy with the scrap yard has what looks like a backhoe attachment that may fit.
On the up side in the pile of stuff I picked up there appears to be an extra motor minus the block. Basicly an adult size industrial jigsaw puzzle! Cant wait to get started :D
Ill get the numbers off of it to post later and wil try to figure out how to get some pictures of this and my other projects as well.
Thank you all in advance.
early 60's jd 1010 crawler basket case, 50's terratrac crawler, 1946 int. td 18a, 1939 cockshut 70

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:05 pm

I think step one is going to be to get a parts manual for a 1010 to see what you're missing. Lavoy can help you with many parts and there multiple other suppliers as well. I'd alway start with Lavoy and go from there.

There were several posts on here for parts manuals. I can't find them right now but there was at least one guy that makes CDs of parts and service manuals.

Welcome to the board and good luck. Speaking from experience, a 1010 crawler can eat you out of house and home with parts cost and availability issues. Make sure you know what you've got and what you need before you commit. A $500 crawler can easily become a $10,000+ crawler if you're missing significant parts.

Bill
Bill Wattson

ritchiegilby
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by ritchiegilby » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:32 pm

hi there
i am just outside halifax nova scotia ans may need some of you "spare' engine parts, i do have complete service manual, i downloaded it form a website for free, if not free, next to it it is 300 pages, i'll look into it for ya, you interested in selling those "spare" parts

tracknut
MC crawler
MC crawler

Thanks for responses

Post by tracknut » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:39 pm

Good news! I got my crawler home today. A fellow collector with a flatbed tow truck just happened to be in the area today picked it all up and brought it to me :lol:
The previous owner is trying to get the manual back from his "buddy" that was doing the work for him barring that I may have to look elswhere.
As for my spare parts, until I get tinto the project im not exactly sure what is going to be spare or necessary or even what is still good in some cases. It was not stored very well. Basically it was taken all apart left in a big heap and then covered in a ratty old tarp. There was more stuff in rusty pails of water than anything else. :shock:
This is going to get interesting. Chris
early 60's jd 1010 crawler basket case, 50's terratrac crawler, 1946 int. td 18a, 1939 cockshut 70

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by pop pop » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:42 am

hey i will send you my scrap and we'll split the profits,,, here in Arizona they are choked down to $65 a ton ,, has not been over $200 since about 2 years ago,, looks like i won't be selling my time travel machines any time soon.

tracknut
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by tracknut » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:12 pm

Chandler no kidding. Sorry bout the price of scrap. I was down there a couple of years ago, delivered a coring drill to a drilling co. there. If I remember correctly they painted there drills a light blue or kinda teal color.
I have some numbers 810 ser. 2515 and there is a number on the transmission T15879T.anything anybody can tell me about this would realy help me out.