John Deere 420c value

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ONTARIOJD40C
40C crawler
40C crawler

John Deere 420c value

Post by ONTARIOJD40C » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:36 am

with the part of sand blasting the serial tag i thought this was correct or did jd pait over them at the factory or is their a correct way of cleaning the tag up i know this part is may sound funny and i should know this.John
NOTHING RUNS LIKE A DEERE

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:02 pm

The point about a sandblasted ID plate means that whoever prepped and painted it would not have been a true "restorer". Someone who was not doing it the quick way to make it "look good" would have removed the plate and carefully cleaned it to preserve the plate and the information on it and then reattached it after the painting was completed. Sandblasting the plate would remove all the painted information and only leave the stamped serial number.
The implication is that if someone shortcutted this easy to spot item, what else did they shortcut. Not saying that this happened on the machine that you are looking at but for that kind of $$$ there shouldn't be too many things "shortcutted".
Remember what Lavoy said, in American dollars a complete restoration for parts and labor can go into the $15,000 and up range depending on what you are starting with.
Ultimately all depends on how bad you want it and if you have the $$ to pay for it. Also remember the three most important things to look at on a crawler are undercarrage,undercarrage and of course undercarrage. Does this crawler have new rails, pins and bushings and rollers? if so that alone would account for half the asking price or more.

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

ONTARIOJD40C
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by ONTARIOJD40C » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:39 pm

thanks chuck i thought that was what you ment i have seen examples of what you listed in regard to the serial plate on this 420c i am not shure i have not looked at this detail but the fellow who is selling it does really good resterations on all his john deere's no matter if it is a crawler or wheeled tractor his brother does all the painting on all his tractors so they are for shure qulity restorations and i belive that is the way he like them done i my self like them this way done as close or exactly how the came from the factor or in the case of original the should be left this way depending on the shape of original if you dont do it right leave it alone that is my idea.John
NOTHING RUNS LIKE A DEERE

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:39 pm

Aren't the plates embossed? I restore these by soaking them in paint thinner to strip everything off, then use a small brush to put paint in the original places (doesn't have to be exact). After the paint sets but before it dries use a good scraper across the tag to remove all paint not in the depressed areas.

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:58 pm

Ray, Yes the printing on them is embossed I think and will therefore be removed with sandblasting. The serial number is stamped.

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.