Sort of a mess...

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Sort of a mess...

Post by gus » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:36 pm

Well, actually it was a large mess. :shock: One front idler had a lot of side play so I took it apart. If it could have been messed up...it was :roll:

Bushings worn out, shaft worn out, lock bolt sheared off, four cap screws on one of the side plates sheared off :? :shock: :shock: Well I finally got everything apart ...except getting the ends on the cap screws out of the hub.

All were broken slightly below level but 3 had nubs. I got a small sharp punch and couldn't believe it when they came out...3 came out. The fourth was deeper and smooth.

TIP OF THE DAY: I got out the Dremmell and put a square tipped carbide cutter in. I carefully cut a dimple in the side. Just enough to get a bite with the punch.... :D :D :D :D it worked and it came out.

Now... I find I have a new problem I hadn't seen before. The front of the track frame is bent slightly. Both sides the same. Any suggestions as to how to straighten that?? At this point, I'm thinking a large press with a spacer and do both at the same time????? Auto body shop frame straightner???? :?: :?: :?:
Gus

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

They actually do not bend that bad. You may or may not need any heat, but usually a large carburator tuner (BFH) and a couple good whacks will do it.
Lavoy

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks Lavoy. I'll try that first. I have a good supply of carb adjusters :lol: :lol:

Also thought about using the weight of my baby excavator.

Gus

PS, bushings came out of the roller in perfect condition as were the seals and shaft. Not bad out of a $25.00 roller!! :D :D

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Yep, :shock: carb adjuster did the trick just fine. :lol: All's straight again :P
Gus