Another newbie here.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
sleepydave
MC crawler
MC crawler

Another newbie here.

Post by sleepydave » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:42 am

Hello everyone. I recently picked up a 440IC to do some work around my property. The machine has a rebuilt motor and a repinned loader. The tracks are weak but the rollers seem good. Once I got the machine home I started doing internet searches for info and thats how I ended up here. I've never owned a crawler before but love coming home from work and finding stuff to do with it. Theres two things that are wrong with the machine that I am going to want to get fixed. The tranny will jump out of secong gear while in motion and the machine seems to have no power. It will bog down very easily moving light snow. With the power it has I will never be able to do any dirt work with it. Any suggestions? Thanks for all you help. Dave
JD 440IC Crawler loader, JD 3720 tractor, couple of F-350's, wannabe farmer.

Joe Iannitto
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Joe Iannitto » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:37 am

Dave,
The cause of your machine popping out of 2nd gear is most likely are worn gears. As for lack of power that can be a big area to cover. The first step is get a manual of the unit and start with a tune up. You may want to take a compression reading of the cylinders. You may have a tired engine

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:04 am

Welcome! The cause of your loss of power can be one of two things. The engine not developing any power. You should be able to diagnosis it like any other gas engine. One simplistic test is to put it in neutral and see if the loader or blade has plenty of hydraulic power to lift the crawler without slowing the engine.

The second cause is that something maybe sapping the engine power. Either by binding up (like gears or the final drive brakes); or by slipping (like the direction reverser or final drive clutches). One of the most common points of failure is in the final drive. You will want to understand how they work and get the instructions on how to adjust them. See if you are having different levels of power when one side is put in neutral and the crawler is driven versus when the other side is in neutral. This can help you diagnose your problem. By neutral I mean when the steering lever is pulled partially back to disengage the drive clutch but not far enough to apply the drive brake.

Have fun. When you are done you definitely will be able to plow snow. Trust me - members on this board have more experience doing than than they want to have.
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

sleepydave
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by sleepydave » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:28 pm

I've ordered the parts and service manuals for this machine, so when they get here I will start diagnosing what the problem is. Supposidly the motor was rebuilt a short time ago, but I will do a compression check first and then move on to the ignition and fuel system. Thanks for the replies.
JD 440IC Crawler loader, JD 3720 tractor, couple of F-350's, wannabe farmer.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:31 am

Check ignition timing and main jet setting, two possible culprits.
Lavoy