Rusty gas tank ??

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
rvbarkley
420 crawler
420 crawler

Rusty gas tank ??

Post by rvbarkley » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:34 am

Have a gas tank on another project thats really rusty inside. Could use some advice/opinions how to keep it from being a problem. Product recommendations ? Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:47 pm

I have a local radiator shop that has an ultrasonic tank he runs them through. After that he steam cleans the crud out, I have had great luck with that.
lavoy

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Rusty gas tank ??

Post by Lu47Dan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:07 pm

rvbarkley wrote:Have a gas tank on another project thats really rusty inside. Could use some advice/opinions how to keep it from being a problem. Product recommendations ? Thanks
If you follow the directions to the letter with this product, it does an excellent job, I have done several tanks with this product.
http://www.por15.com/CYCLE-TANK-REPAIR- ... info/CTRK/
This product fixed a leak in a soldered tank that woud re-occur every three years, that would force me to drain flush and re-solder the seam. Once I lined the tank with this product the leak has not re-occurred.
This thread on Shop Floor Talk so the results of the product and how bad a tank can be saved.
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/sho ... php?t=9464
The tank shown in the thread, had ancient gasoline in it, the Marine Clean removed the varnish, I would not use any other product for lining tanks. The only drawback to this product is that there is a long cure time once the coating is applied.
If you follow the directions that are included with the kit you will be very happy with the results. I use a lot of their products, I order directly from them and have been very happy with their service.
Depending on the size of the tank, the kit I linked to might be too small, but it will do a 4 gallon tank. They show a larger tank repair kit for car sized tanks and I have done one tank of that size for a DeSoto and as far as I know the tank is still in use.
Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

rust in tank

Post by pop pop » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:43 am

i have filled tanks about 1/3full of coarse sand and pea gravel and water and just shook,rolled tumbled till clean,rinse, blowdry, and immediately coat with gas mixed with oil to keep the rust out.
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry:

H-D
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by H-D » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:40 pm

Bungie cording the tank to a tractor wheel for the tumbling action works well for me using a light load of nuts, bolts, & screws in the fashion 'pop pop' recommends. The POR 15 product has a good rep as does CREEM. I figure the ol' girls need all the anti-rust help they can get, especially with increasing percentage of alcohol in the gas we are faced with.