1010 crawler stops

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
lewisc1046
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010 crawler stops

Post by lewisc1046 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:45 am

when driving crawler it intermittently stops moving. push in the clutch count to 5 and it moves again. someone told me it was the clutch. but when i drop the blade and its moving it will run and push like mad. any ideas
chris

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:30 am

Hi,

Well, if working the master clutch has an effect, I suppose it must be related to the clutch.

However, you're right. It would seem that if it were a slipping master clutch, then it surely would not push.

In my experience this is not what happens, either to a worn clutch or one getting oil onto it. When they start slipping, the load one can push gets progressively less until you can't even move the machine itself.

I've seen some where the throw-out is sticky (usually with rust scale) on the shaft and hang up, but those won't go at all until one works the pedal to release it from it's sticking and then they work fine until one pushes the pedal again and it hangs up again....

This one is strange, all right.

Hopefully someone else has seen this and knows why it acts like this....

later!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:15 am

If it is a reverser crawler, you have no engine clutch, just a valve on the side of the reverser case that opens up the reverser plates. If so, I wonder if you have a weak return spring on the clutch pedal, something is jamming the pedal down slightly, low on oil, needs filter change, etc. My guess is it is reverser related, assuming you have a reverser crawler.
If not a reverser crawler, I am thinking like Stan, I don't think it is a clutch issue.
Lavoy