propellar shaft 420

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
homer420c
40C crawler
40C crawler

propellar shaft 420

Post by homer420c » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:14 pm

Hi All: I just signed up and want to thank all for this board. I've been reading here for quite awhile while i gathered nerve to start reassmbly of my early 420. I already have a question.
I bought reconditioned propeller shaft (Lavoy) and it is not drilled for the
pin connection to input shaft (neither is this shaft), but the 420 I am rebuilding was. Should these pieces be drilled and pinned ? I cannot really see the reason for the pin.
saving a frozen 420c
parted a 40c to aid the salvage
bought another 420c in search for parts
fully immersed

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:02 pm

If is was not drilled, that was my screwup, it should have been.
If the splines on your input shaft have very much wear, the pin would likely break in short order.
I don't think I have seen an input shaft that was not drilled, but it may be possible that on the 420's they did not.
Lavoy

fryguy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by fryguy » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:22 pm

A few years ago, I split my 420 W to replace the brake pedal shaft and bushing. While I had the tractor apart, I noticed pieces of fractured cotter pin inside the bottom of the bell housing. I don't believe the cotter was original, but rather a "make do" somebody before me did. After removing the propellar shaft, I found the end that couples to the input shaft to be near failure. Fortunately, the imput shaft was nearly new looking. The splines on the propellar shaft were worn nearly paper thin. I believe the pins primary function is to keep the splines on the input and propellar shafts from having excessive wear from the back and forth rubbing when engaging the clutch. It is important to replace that pin. I would suggest not using a large cotter pin.

fryguy

homer420c
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by homer420c » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:58 pm

Okay, i will drill for the pin. /what is diameter and clearance if any ? anyone know?

I also need alternate repair method, or, the left hand portion of the ball joint linkage in the clutch housing. JD has the entire assy for $150.

Craig
saving a frozen 420c
fully immersed

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:02 pm

The pin is not very big, I don't think I have one on hand, but it is about 3/16". The hole is larger than that, I can get the size. The factory pin is like a rivet, and you put a washer over the free end and head it somewhat. The pin is not supposed to be tight on the shaft, I suppose the theory is that will help it from breaking. If your splines are very worn on the transmission, you will need to make the hole larger or else it will just shear it off eventually. Look at your input shaft closely to make sure that there is not something plugging the hole.
Lavoy

homer420c
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by homer420c » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:05 pm

wow thay was a quick reply. thanks,I'll look closer.

any ideas on the ball joint linkage part?
saving a frozen 420c
fully immersed

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:44 am

At one time you could get just the ball joint itself without buying the whole thing. Have you tried that? If all else fails, I have used ones. What is the part number you need?
Lavoy