new owner old crawler 2010

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
robvds
40C crawler
40C crawler

new owner old crawler 2010

Post by robvds » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:06 pm

I just bought a model 2010 serial 52391 crawler, gas motor with 820 loader and a stack of weights on the back. It doesn't run yet and it was hard enough to load that I haven't unloaded it yet. This is my first tracked machine, I have lots of farm tractors. I am sure I will have lots of questions once I start on it, I had to buy a rebuilt starter so I can evaluate the motor. I saw a post by red dirt mentions a clutch lockout, I can't find any such device? How important are the rear weights if I am not loading trucks? I expect to be playing in manure more than soil, will I lose a lot of traction by removing the weights? Does anybody here have experience changing engines on these machines? I found a guy on kijiji who installed a kubota L48diesel and is now offering the original diesel for sale. I would like to use it as is for this year and eventually install a nissan truck diesel if the motor is really not good. Is that kind of mod frowned upon here?
Rob

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Rob, the weights on the back are there to balance the crawler, lifting the bucket fully with any load without the counter weight stack can make the crawler tip forward. I stood a Case bucket loader on it's nose when the front wheels sunk into the ground on a site one day. It was not a fun experience, it was a good thing that I was wearing a seat belt when that happened. When the bucket hit the ground and the load spilled out the rear end came down hard. It happened faster then I could react.
Lavoy or jdharris would have to comment on the engine.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi Rob-

The counterweights are recommended by Deere when a rear attachment is not used. There are supposed to be 5 suitcase weights (200 lbs each) for a total of 1000 lbs. If you have a rear attachment, then the need for additional counterweight varies.

Having said that, I have used my 2010 loader without attachments or counterweights. It is not much of a problem for light bucket loads or light material, but you can tip the machine forward if loading heaping buckets of wet soil or heavier materials. The steering, especially in reverse, is also a little squirrely when the weight is on the front of the tracks.

You traction, in my experience, is more affected by the condition of your track pads than the presence of the counterweights, especially in wet soils.

As for the "clutch lockout", there is a H-L-R disengagement lever within the floorboard to the left of the H-L-R shifter lever. The lever disengages the transmission from the engine- it is used to make starting easier especially in cold weather. I use it all the time on my diesel as it will allow the engine to spin and thus stgart faster. You are only suppoed to use it briefly for starting only, and your hydraulics won't function until you renegage it. I am not sure it is on the gas engiones but is on the diesels.

As for swapping engines, I think you'll find and hear that it is very difficult to swap a JD gas engine for a diesel, much more so if at all for a non-JD engine. My uderstanding is that it would have to be a 2010 engine block, or one of the "sister" engines used in wheel tractors, power plants, compressors, or combines.

Hope that helps!
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment