jd350c track yoke leaks-new seal no help-advice?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
p0g0
MC crawler
MC crawler

jd350c track yoke leaks-new seal no help-advice?

Post by p0g0 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:57 am

Hi, I have a JD350c. I have a couple of questions: the original stock hydraulic track tension rod seal has been replaced with a new (better) design. The new seal is larger, one-piece nylon, but I cannot find instructions on it's proper orientation. The new seal has a flared lip on one end, and none on the other- should the flare face into the cylinder and grease pressure, or away from it?

I've tried what seemed likely, that the flare face the cylinder & pressure, but that proved Very Difficult to insert the cylinder into the yoke, and leaked profusely. I dismantled the yoke again and saw damage to the seal I had just installed. I had exercised a lot of care to avoid that, but the seal flare would hang when first meeting the cylinder, and it took a 3 mil foil shim to compress the flare to clear the cylinder. Manfiestly, there's a better way.

My second question is: I have a used replacement yoke that I kept from a rebuild but I recall it leaked (why I replaced it decades ago): is it feasible to hone or turn the yoke cylinder, and would that require a non-standard seal?

I'm pretty likely to just buy an aftermarket yoke and rod, but I suspect I can return the gear I have to service if I do the right things.

Thanks for reading this.