hydraulic track adjuster repair jd 1010 crawler

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
fruitcakesa
430 crawler
430 crawler

hydraulic track adjuster repair jd 1010 crawler

Post by fruitcakesa » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:19 pm

I have gotten the track and front idler off and can see the seal in the front tube and on the piston end but cannot figure out how to remove either. The tube seal appears to be held in by a metal washerlike piece that seems rusted to the tube and is not obviously removeable. The new seal is stiff and won't twist to remove or insert
The piston end seal is also trapped by the end of the piston again with no obvious means of removal. The new piston seal looks like leather that will not stretch
I don't want to damage anything by ignorant wrenching. Any help?
196? 1010 diesel crawler, Gearmatic 10 winch w/ arch/fairlead, 6 way power angle blade, ROPS w/rear screen

boothj
MC crawler
MC crawler

Track Adjuster Removal

Post by boothj » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:50 pm

I just replaced the track adjuster on my 1010. Didn't have to remove the track or front idler. Just removed the 4 bolts attaching the adjuster to the front idler and used a hydraulic jack to compress the track adjuster completely. I suggest removing the grease fitting to allow this to happen. In my case I didn't have to since the grease seal was so badly gone.

The adjuster can then be pushed forward through the guide hole surrounding the smaller tube end of the track adjuster. Since you already have the idler wheel off, it should pull straight out. If it is rusted in, I suggest using the hydraulic jack again to push it free. Just brace one end of the jack against the rear where the adjuster spring rests and the other end against the track adjuster tube.

Hope I haven't confused you to much?

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:12 pm

A little hard to tell what you are describing, but apparently you are working on the track tension adjuster and you have managed to get the piston separated from the cylinder barrel.

The wiper seal in the end of the cylinder is pressed in. It acts as a wiper against the piston to keep dirt out of the cylinder barrel. You can order a new one and it will be more obvious what you are dealing with before you take the old one out. Alternatively you can just pry it out. They are not reusable.

The seal at the end of the piston is the real grease seal. It sounds like you have gotten a replacement leather seal for the older style track adjuster. However, apparently you have a newer model piston which has a grove cut in the piston where a wide neoprene seal seats. The proper new neoprene seal is flexible enough to stretch over the end of the piston to seat in the grove. With the old style leather washer you unbolted a plate on the end of the piston.

I may be completely wrong in my assumption of what you are describing. If it does not sound right, perhaps you can upload a picture.
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

fruitcakesa
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by fruitcakesa » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:50 pm

You have it right about the seal. The fools at John Deere ordered the wrong part so now I am up a creek without a seal and my rig is in pieces. I will call them tomorrow about getting the correct seal
Gil wrote:A little hard to tell what you are describing, but apparently you are working on the track tension adjuster and you have managed to get the piston separated from the cylinder barrel.

The wiper seal in the end of the cylinder is pressed in. It acts as a wiper against the piston to keep dirt out of the cylinder barrel. You can order a new one and it will be more obvious what you are dealing with before you take the old one out. Alternatively you can just pry it out. They are not reusable.

The seal at the end of the piston is the real grease seal. It sounds like you have gotten a replacement leather seal for the older style track adjuster. However, apparently you have a newer model piston which has a grove cut in the piston where a wide neoprene seal seats. The proper new neoprene seal is flexible enough to stretch over the end of the piston to seat in the grove. With the old style leather washer you unbolted a plate on the end of the piston.

I may be completely wrong in my assumption of what you are describing. If it does not sound right, perhaps you can upload a picture.
196? 1010 diesel crawler, Gearmatic 10 winch w/ arch/fairlead, 6 way power angle blade, ROPS w/rear screen

fruitcakesa
430 crawler
430 crawler

Update Oops

Post by fruitcakesa » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:11 pm

The PO of this machine did a lot of sketchy repairs over the years but this one was actually an update as he replaced the original adjuster with one from a 350. They are the same size but the 350 uses a seal that is slipped on The ordered 1010 seal kit has a bolt on leather seal.
The local JD dealer had the 350 seal so I am back 'dozing.

Lfd270ben
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: hydraulic track adjuster repair jd 1010 crawler

Post by Lfd270ben » Sat May 25, 2019 8:03 am

Where can I get the older style leather washer style seal that bolts on to the piston? and part #?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hydraulic track adjuster repair jd 1010 crawler

Post by Lavoy » Sat May 25, 2019 12:57 pm

I usually have them in stock.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com