Reverser question 440 IC

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
wbraymen
MC crawler
MC crawler

Reverser question 440 IC

Post by wbraymen » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:31 am

Hi, I purchased a 58 440IC. It is in pretty good shape overall. I have to put new steering clutches in it and work on the brakes. The engine was stuck but I got it freed up. When I bought it, it was just sitting for a few years. It wont turn left. I see the brake band bolt has either fallen out or broken so I know I will be into the final drives. My question is this, did all 440s have reversers? The guy I got it from claimed to have bought the dozer in 81 and the reverser never did work. The hand lever is not on the machine, nor is the linkage that connects from the reverser shaft to the shaft the lever would be on. I have read some people "disable" the reverser but I would like to restore this and make it work. The machine is repainted and the reverser shaft has the paint on it making me think maybe it was disabled before the guy bought it when it was painted. I am going to pull the motor and rebuild it plus check the clutch anyway so I figure I will be close to the reverser, I might as well pull it too. Is there any chance that I could just purchase the linkages, hook it up and it might work? I have a service manual but the picures are poor. Are the reversers as complicated as the pictures make them look? Is there anyone who could rebuild the reverser assy. for me if they are a difficult job? My dozer was equipped with a model 91 loader and most of the bolts are broken on the right side of the cylinder mounts. Would it be best to pull these mounts then work on the reverser or can you pull it while the brackets are still in place? Thanks for your help.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:05 am

Pull the front bung plug on the reverser and you will be able to see if it is still in there. Reverser was an option, not all had it.
Lavoy

wbraymen
MC crawler
MC crawler

Still looking for the reverser

Post by wbraymen » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:14 pm

I pulled the bung and I see the shifter rail and I can see the front fork but I dont see anything else. Would you be able to see the clutches from there? The model 91 loader makes it hard to see up inside, I used a mirror and didn't see much. I could make out the drive shaft but it looked like a lot of empty space. My machine has the 5 speeed tranny and I would have liked the reverser but I guess I will save some money when restoring it. Did they include the same control shaft on reverser and non reverser models? If what I saw is not a front fork, is there anything in there that would still use what looks like a front fork? The book talks about a spring loaded lock pin for adjustment and I cant see anything like that so I would guess no reverser. What do you think? Thanks for the help.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:48 pm

Sounds like the reverser is gone. On a non-reverser machine, that housing is a dry cavity, and there is just a plate where the shifter sits.
Lavoy