Anti-sieze compound

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
BKahler
440 crawler
440 crawler

Anti-sieze compound

Post by BKahler » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:02 pm

I've been following all these posts where people talk about bolts that won't unscrew, frozen or rusted in place. I'm wondering if anti-sieze is used when the parts are finally reassembled, will the rusting or freezing in place be a problem? Or will the anti-sieze cause other problems such as bolts vibrating loose, etc?

Just looking for ways to eliviate the broken bolt syndrome for future repairs.

Brad

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:46 pm

Brad,
I use a lot of anti-seize.
Lavoy

fryguy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by fryguy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:27 pm

Brad,

I have not been working with crawlers that long, but we have used antiseize for about 25 years on my in-laws farm equipment. There is no substitute for it when something has to come back apart after years of exposure to corrosive cow manure, silage and dirt. I am antiseizing just about everything on the crawler, just planning for the future. It's messy for sure but it is well worth the trouble in my opinion. I don't think it causes bolts to vibrate loose that much.

fryguy

BKahler
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by BKahler » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:12 pm

Hmm, looks like I better stock up on the stuff!

Thanks for the info,

Brad

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:05 pm

I use it all the time and have a 430 that I have used for years and have taken bolts back off that I have used it on years ago and I don't think you have to worry about bolts coming loose because I have had some trouble getting some of them off. I would hate to think what it would have been like without using it of course we already have been there breaking bolts off or having to use the torch to heat them. Great stuff.

bighamlin
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bighamlin » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:25 pm

I am new to crawlers, got my first 1010C half a year ago. But, I have a lot of experience with farm equipment and anti-sieze (never-sieze or generic) compounds. I mostly collect/farm with new generation JD tractors (its a hobby/passion), 2510, 4020, etc, anti-sieze is a must on anything torqued over 100 ft-lbs in my opinion, axle sleves, pinion bolts, axle housings, wheel/front weights, lug nuts, etc - anything that sees mud, dirt, water and the elements. Nothing like having to torch heat, use penetrating fluid, impact wrenches, breaker bars and still break off the bolt head or nut and having to use a nut or bolt remover - *ANSWER* - use an anti-seize compound. It doesn't hurt to use it even where you think you don't need it, it isn't lock-tite, but I have never seen it cause something to come loose.