2010 Idler rebound spring

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

2010 Idler rebound spring

Post by Stretch » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Ok, that may not be the name for it but that is what I will call it. :lol:
The manual says that the spring needs to be set at 15" flange to flange.
I took one out of my crawler to replace a broken one in my dozer and it measures 16" but the internal spring is not compressed at all. As a matter of fact it just sort of flops around. :roll:
I take it that the spring has taken a set, with that being said should I try to replace the internal spring or let it go as is. I doubt very seriously you could get a new one and to tell the truth I don't see where it is doing much to help the larger outer spring.
Any suggestions would be helpful. You have to split the track to even deal with this spring. I already have it apart for another issue that I posted earlier.
Thanks in advance, Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:48 pm

I think if you shortened the bolt to 15", it would contact the inner spring.
Lavoy

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:50 am

Thanks Lavoy.
I have been saturating the bolt with PB Blaster for a few days now. I got the jam nut to come off but not having alot of luck getting the bolt to tighten up some more. I am a little leary of putting heat to the nut as it is recessed inside the casting and I am concerned it may break the casting.
The casting is what was broke on my old one.

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:02 pm

I ended having to cut the bolt into on the assembly I pulled out of the parts crawler. Darn if i wasn't surprised how much tension is on the sring assembly even when it is out of spec. :shock:
When I got the bolt cut through it sent crap everywhere. Anyway I was able to make a good rebound spring out of the two I had. :D
Put everything back together and put track back together, boy was I surprised. The track went together a whole lot easier than it did the first time. :)
If everything goes right I should have the ole girl out of the barn by the end of the week. :D