steering levers

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

steering levers

Post by millertym2 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:43 pm

I just put my new clutch's on the right side and adjusted them up real nice. Then took her out for a test spin and noticed it didnt turn so good to the right. Well come to find out the steering pin and linkage has been "repaired" and not very well.And still had too much play so I was loosing the throw between the lever and the clutch rod/knuckle.

Now should I try to repair the loose clutch knuckle ( by drilling threw the cast into the pin and threading a bolt in it)or just try to find a new one. It is a b!#@h to get into the linkage and get everything apart without taking the final drive off again. Just wondering if any body has messed with the linkage part before. And Lavoy can I get replacement parts like the pin and knuckle.

Thanks,millertym2.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:19 pm

At one time I had found a few of the ball joint pieces, but it has been a while. Give me the part number of the one you need, and I will see if I can find them again.
Lavoy

millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by millertym2 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:52 pm

I have'nt been able to get back to the MC since my wife had a baby on the 7th. When thinking up names I tossed the name Lavoy in but she rejected it. :lol:

So now I'm spending all my time indoors. But I still have the MC fever but its only when the little guy is napping.And its all of 26 degrees outside for a high. OK I will get those part numbers from my book and check in with you later. Thanks,millertym

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:40 pm

Congrats on the new kid, enjoy him.
Don't saddle the poor kid with a name like mine, name him something that people don't always go HUH??? when you tell them your name.
Lavoy

millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by millertym2 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:01 pm

We named him Carl after his grandpa and me. I really tried for Logan but she wouldnt go for it.

Now on to business. I pulled the final drive off again(which takes a total of 30 minutes). And adjusted the hiem joint -that someone had messed with before- and removed the steering lever and all that attached to it and ended up drilling and tapping the knuckle(that actuates the throw out bearing assembly) to put a set screw in to hold it tight to the pin. It all seemed to go well I just have to get it back together. Which I may be able to do tonight. Thanks,millertym.

millertym2
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by millertym2 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:26 pm

Lavoy do you have any of the black handles that screw on the levers? We kind of had a casualty when taking off the lever. Thanks,millertym.