2010 cooling system

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
JB
40C crawler
40C crawler

2010 cooling system

Post by JB » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:05 pm

Hello all, I recently removed the radiator, water pump and generator to do a rebuild and/or clean up on them. Noticed when I took the radiator off, it has what I assume an oil cooler section on the bottom :?: which attached to a horizontally mounted cylinder down in front of the engine. What does this go to and what kind of oil is in this? Tried to trace it with little luck.
Should I get parts for the water pump from JD or can I order them from Lavoy?Please let me know what the process is if its' the latter.
As always, thanks for the support.
JB
PS, SN plate was missing, have to try another way to id my dozer...

2010OWNER
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by 2010OWNER » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:55 pm

JB
The cylinder is part of your HLR transmission oil cooling system.
Brian
'63 2010 Dozer, '44 Model B Tractor,'65 2010 Tractor, '55 40c crawler, '77 2240 Orchard Tractor.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 2010 cooling system

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:09 pm

JB wrote: Should I get parts for the water pump from JD or can I order them from Lavoy?Please let me know what the process is if its' the latter.
I can try and answer that for you, considering I have purchased parts from Lavoy in the past. I personally try to look into parts availability through Lavoy before other sources, including Deere. I figure it is only fair considering the wealth of information we get for free here, and he is very competitive in his pricing even with shipping.

He will be able to tell you if he has the parts and will describe the ordering process. It is pretty painless- if he has the parts he will get your shipping info and you can pay using the payment link provided on his main website. He generally provides an invoice before payment. If smaller parts he can ship using ground carriers like UPS- if larger or heavier he can ship using LTL freight shipping like Con-Way.

Hope this helps- he can provide more details.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Pammark
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Pammark » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:48 am

Look at my current "2010 Repair" topic and you will see pictures and information about the oil cooler and rebuild of the water pump.

I agree with Tigerhaze. Lavoy's pricing is within cents of JD and you get a welth of free information along with it.

The bottom oil cooler has four hoses connected to it. Two for the in/out of oil and two for the in/out of coolant. Make sure the hoses are in good shape. I had a leaky hose years ago that drove me nuts trying to find it. The leak was in the small hose, but with the belly pan, it dribbled on the ground half way back under the dozer.

Also make sure the oil cooler is free of blockage. Mine had shit blow out of it when I ran ran compressed air and water through it. Also, a good time to have the radiator boiled out. Cheap investments whiile you have 200 lb of iron removed.

Mark
JD 2010 Crawler with Loader

JB
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD 2010C COOLING

Post by JB » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi everyone,
Well I screwed up, was doing ok taking apart the water pump, got the pulley off ok but broke the impeller when pulling it off.Lavoy, do you have those? I'd like to get the pump kit with it if you have it too... :oops:
Note: when removing the impeller, tighten your puller a LITTLE then tap it with a hammer. Keep repeating till' off ...
JB

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:55 pm

I think impellors are a Deere only item, I have not found them elsewhere. Send me an e-mail with the casting numbers off of your pump, I might be able to find a new one.
Lavoy

JB
40C crawler
40C crawler

2010C loader cooling

Post by JB » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:22 pm

Lavoy, here's the numbers on pump:
16849T
T18820T
T577T
I think the 1st number is the pump casting,and the third number might be the impeller but I'm not sure. Should have been more cautious with that impeller, being cast iron :(
Thanks, Lavoy
JB