In boxes and pallets...

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

In boxes and pallets...

Post by gus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:59 pm

I know I shouldn't have but :shock: :wink:

It is a future project Lavoy, so don't start planning the Florida vacation yet :lol: :lol:

I bought a basket case, or box case?? late model 420, loader, 5 speed trans, and reverser. It's all apart but "all there". I will probably get it home this weekend. I think some parts sat outside for a while so I plan on pulling down the steering clutches as soon as I can. If they got water in them, maybe I can salvage more parts than if Ididn't get to them for a couple of years.

Anything else I should check now??
Gus

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:18 pm

If they were kept out in the weather, I would worry about water or moisture that has leaked into or condensed within the engine crankcase and the transmission/reverser. Depending on how much "apart" they are, I would drain the fluids and make sure that the shafts such as crankshaft are free.

Depending on how long you will store those parts and if you are rebuilding them, you may need to protect them with new fluid until reassembly or rebuild.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:18 am

I would echo that, at least spray some WD40 or something on any of the parts that sat outside to slow down the rust.
Lavoy

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:10 pm

The reason it was taken apart was a broken trany/reverser cases. All of that is in a plastic tote box with a lid along with new/used cases and all new bearings. The gears are all in the box so they have been dry and lubed.

The finals were left outside for a while and that is where I think I should go to get it ready for storage. The head was also off for??? I felt the cylinders and there was no ridge at all, pure smooth. I'll oil the cyl and put the head in place. I think it's possible there's a cracked head or maybe just a bad gasket which the owner said it "used/leaked water".

I will get it home on Sun. I'm trying to make room in the shed for it where I can keep it covered and dry.
Gus

tuney443
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by tuney443 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Just wanted to mention a product for protecting steel/existing rust from further rusting that I've been using for years.Fluid Film,made from industrial wool wax,no solvents,has amazing long term protection against rusting,also a great lubricant to use anywhere,zippers,sliding drawers,door hinges,any pivot points--smells great also.You can get it at John Deere outlets but it's pricey there,I get it by the case from a few different dealers on Ebay.If you go to Fluid Film's site,they will send you the mini sample can free.Comes in spray cans,gallon,5 gal., and 55 gal. drums.Need a cheapy type air gun to spray,it's fairly thick.
Found the skull to the mastodon in Hyde Park, youngest one ever found so far in the world in 2000.

JD35D midi exc.
JD410G TLB
JD450D Dozer
2 JD 440 track loaders
JD 420 track loader
JD 450C track loader

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:38 pm

Well, it's home. :D

It does appear to be pretty complete. I can see some small items missing, like the tach and some small parts are damaged. Tracks measure 75% shot and seem a bit snakey, like maybe the pins have already been turned. Any way to check that? Nice rails, snow cleats and sprockets. Rock guards and sprocket cover look very good.

The gears all looked very good. A cardboard box full of new seals, bearings, and shims for the tranny and reverser. Tin is a little rough and will need some body work, mostly the hood. Might need another one as some holes have been "enlarged". Front metal and grill are not bad.

The only problem I have is the loader bucket. It's raised all the way up, a log was put between the arms to hold it as well as a piece of angle iron is clamped on each cyl rod. I don't know what it weighs, but I need to lower it and remove it. I don't think my small tractor can handle it.

Just got it in and covered before the rain started :P
Gus

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:12 pm

Well, this is what followed me home... :roll: :lol: