440icd

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
440icd
430 crawler
430 crawler

440icd

Post by 440icd » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:48 am

Lavoy,
I got my Gal of yellow paint from Deere, But I was wondering if I can use it to paint the engine as well or should I order a special heat resistant paint in the same color?
Thanks
Scott
Scott in wa.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:17 am

I use the same paint on engine as the rest. Only thing that burns off is the manifold.
Lavoy

JD40c
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JD40c » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:55 pm

You might check Eastwoods site. They have some high-temp paint on exhaust manifold paint that's supposed to be bulletproof. Not sure what colors they have, probably silver and black. Check out http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search? ... aust+paint
1955 John Deere 40C 4-roller

440icd
430 crawler
430 crawler

Primer for john Deere yellow enamel

Post by 440icd » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:07 pm

So I was reading the can it says, I don't have to prime for it , but when I brushed a little on It doesn’t cover all the way.

Also it says not to use lacquer thinner to cut it, isn't all the paint thinner the same stuff? Lacquer thinner???

Went to the local auto paint store, they said I could put down laquire primer underneath it.

What kind of primer did anyone use under there Deere enamel?

Help
Thanks
Scott
Scott in wa.

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jac » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:24 pm

Paint thinner and laquer thinner are not the same. Laquer thinner is typically a mixture of polar solvents (ketones,alcohols, etc) while paint thinner is typically a mixture of non-polar solvents (petrolium "oil" based fractionates, toluene). Polar and non-polar solvents are typically immisible (they do not mix). Toluene is somewhat of an exception in that is misible with many polar and non-palar solvents.

I believe Deere has their own thinner for their paint, at least I have been told that. Not sure what is in their thinner, but if Deere sells a thinner, they have to provide an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on the thinner, if requested. The MSDS will tell you what is in the can.

NPI
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by NPI » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:46 am

jac wrote:Paint thinner and laquer thinner are not the same. Laquer thinner is typically a mixture of polar solvents (ketones,alcohols, etc) while paint thinner is typically a mixture of non-polar solvents (petrolium "oil" based fractionates, toluene). Polar and non-polar solvents are typically immisible (they do not mix). Toluene is somewhat of an exception in that is misible with many polar and non-palar solvents.

I believe Deere has their own thinner for their paint, at least I have been told that. Not sure what is in their thinner, but if Deere sells a thinner, they have to provide an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on the thinner, if requested. The MSDS will tell you what is in the can.
Ya, What he said..........lol :shock:

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:27 am

Yes, Deere does have their own thinner. You can not use lacquer thinner on the Deere paint, it is an enamel paint. For enamel you have to use reducer.
Use the Deere primer and you don't have to worry about incompatibility between the two.
Lavoy

tbird505
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by tbird505 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:46 pm

I just painted a JD 350 with the deerd industrial yellow. I had previously removed the original paint with a grinder down to the bare metal. I sprayed on several coats of the deere paint without primer like the can says and it came out beautiful. The deere paint was worth all of the $50 per gallon price. You definately want to use the deere thinner as others are not compatable. GOOD LUCK PAUL

440icd
430 crawler
430 crawler

paint

Post by 440icd » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:50 am

thanks fo all the info.
I will now use all deere paint, thinner, primer.

thanks much
scott
Scott in wa.

lzrcqg
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD Paint

Post by lzrcqg » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:57 am

Yes, use the JD paint. It is worth every dime. I have painted alot of JD equipment; green, yellow, black, and even red. I have never used a primer with JD paint. I have painted bare metal and rusted metal. The trick to JD paint is light coats of paint. The first coat needs to became tacky then do the second coat and the third. On the last coat add a little laqcuer thinner to the paint. This will give a nice finish and shine. Trust me this works great. Check out my dozer in the pictures on this site. It is labeled "nice 1010 dozer". Good luck.