440 hyd track tensioners

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 hyd track tensioners

Post by lastchancegarage » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:09 am

When I went to put grease in the left track tensioner, it came out through what looks like a 1/8" hole directly opposite the grease fitting. :( Is there some sort of an internal pressure relief valve that could be stuck open or am I looking at something which has corroded from the inside out? :shock: Any info would help. Thanks

Scott
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

hole! Yes it is

Post by digitup » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:53 am

your hole should have a small stainless ball berring in the bottom with a specific plug on top for pressure release These are easy enough to get though and damnd nean as easy to loose.Don t over tighten but left lose they will take off *ask Lavoy about the ball and plug maby the older ones omited the ball* Digitup!l

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

pressure relief check ball

Post by lastchancegarage » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:47 am

Thanks for the info digitup. Is the check ball you're referring to under the hex bolt next to the grease fitting? If so, is it just a spring and check ball in there I should be looking for? I'm a little relieved to hear that there is a pressure relief system in place and not an issue with corroded metal. Thanks.

Scott

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
195? ATC GT-25 dozer

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:02 am

SCott,
By opposite do you mean beside it, or across from it on the bottom side of the barrel? If it is on the bottom side, that is the grease relief hole for when you loosen the tracks. If you have grease coming out of it when greasing, then digitup has the solution. There is no spring, just a ball under the setscrew that is down in the hole. FYI in case yours is gone, there is a ball, then a set screw, then a short 1/2" bolt that goes on top of the set screw to keep dirt out.
Lavoy

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

check ball

Post by lastchancegarage » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:34 am

Lavoy,
Thanks for the insight. Yes, the hole is on the bottom of the barrel. If the ball is gone would you have a dimension on this ball? From what you said I take it you were supposed to remove the 1/2" bolt, loosen the set screw, and the grease would just exit through the bottom as you loosened the track.(?) Could I use any ball bearing as long as it fit in the hole or is the size of the ball a critical dimension based on a camfered edge to the drain hole or something? Thanks.

Scott

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
195? ATC GT-25 dozer

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:58 am

You are correct in how it operates.
It is a specific size ball, I might have one on hand, I used to try and keep a bag of them on hand.
Lavoy

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

track adjuster balls

Post by lastchancegarage » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:51 am

Lavoy,
Any luck finding those hyd track adjuster check balls? If you have any it would sure save me more research time into finding the right dimension. Also, would you happen to have a manual which shows how to rebuild one of those hyd adjusters? I couldn't find a lot of information on that particular item in the cd that Brad sent me. Thanks.

Scott

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
195? ATC GT-25 dozer

BKahler
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: track adjuster balls

Post by BKahler » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:58 pm

lastchancegarage wrote:Lavoy,
Any luck finding those hyd track adjuster check balls? If you have any it would sure save me more research time into finding the right dimension. Also, would you happen to have a manual which shows how to rebuild one of those hyd adjusters? I couldn't find a lot of information on that particular item in the cd that Brad sent me. Thanks.

Scott
Scott, does your copy of the CD include the Operators manual? If not, I've since added that file to the CD. If not send me a PM.

The Operators manual has the following paragraph on hydraulic track tensioners.

"On tracks having hydraulic-type adjustment, tension is adjusted by means of the special track grease gun furnished with the tractor. To tighten track, apply grease with gun until the proper tension is achieved.

To loosen track, remove 1/2 x 5/8 inch cap screw from cylinder relief port. Turn allen head cap screw counter-clockwise a slight amount to relieve hydraulic pressure on track. After making proper adjustment, replace cap screw."

Thats all that is in the Operators manual. I find it odd that Deere left out pretty much all reference to the hydraulic adjuster from their service manual.

Brad

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Track adjuster

Post by digitup » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:13 pm

The track tension adjuster is not complicated just replace the seals and make shure the crome barrel is in good shape I had a rust spot on on one barrel on my 312 cat hoe this took out the seal [damn thing is only 4 years old ] so clean it up well with a real fine sandpaper dont over do it though that crome is soft Idid that job in less than 4 hours on a job site by myself Take lots of grease and this is where a power grease gun is slick

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:36 pm

Scott,
Found the check balls if you still need one.
Lavoy

kstivers
40C crawler
40C crawler

440 hyd track tensioners

Post by kstivers » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:18 pm

I'm having trouble with my tensioner also. the right side seems to be stuck. I put greese in it but it won't move. if i full the front wheel out the trac tightens but when I release it falls slack again. is there an easier way to unjam the this besides rebuilding it. I would like to get a couple of those ball bearing or at least the size so I can get a bag myself. thanks

by the way, slipped a trac. there hell on the fingers when the smash!!
moveitall haulin

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:56 pm

If you pull the track out, most likely you are not pulling out the adjuster, just pulling it away from the spring.
When you try to pup grease in it, is it that you can not pump at all, or that the grease goes in but does not do anything? If the second is the case, look underneath the adjuster, there should be a lot of grease coming out the bleed hole. If this is not the case, then the check ball is not the problem.
Lavoy

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:15 pm

Scott still playing with that thing ! Your seals are probably leaking damn badly.Nothin a few hours of takin the rod and seals out . clean up the shaft and replace the seals Its not that hard .Digitup.

kstivers
40C crawler
40C crawler

440 hyd track tensioners

Post by kstivers » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:09 am

I think a rebuild think a rebuild is going to be my best solution. although, I worked her for about an hour and a half and it looked like the trac adjusted out some. I believe its just sticky, I saw in anouther post Lavoy had some after market adjusters for $300. do you still have those?
moveitall haulin

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:48 am

Yes, still have them.
Lavoy