420c carriers replaced by hardwood blocks?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
redkneckracer
40C crawler
40C crawler

420c carriers replaced by hardwood blocks?

Post by redkneckracer » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:13 pm

anyone have any idea why the original owner of my 420 took the carrier rollers off the track frames and replaced them with birch 6x6 blocks? i got a friend whos father owned a few 40s and 420s and he said he took the carriers off his too because he had a hard time keeping tracks adjusted properly? anyone with any insight? thanks

JimAnderson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Birch blocks

Post by JimAnderson » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:43 pm

Hello,
I would guess that the birch blocks were used to replace the original
rollers after they wore out.If the previous owner couldn't find or afford
the correct parts then those blocks allowed the machine to be used.I
have heard of this being done before and have seen many 4x4s used
to replace missing upper rollers.Before the internet the limited ability
to find correct parts for these old girls drove people to find creative
ways to keep them running.While not cheap you can get new Berco
350 rollers which are a bolt in replacement for what came on the 420.
Lavoy should have some or your local Deere industial dealer can get
some.If you have a 5roller then your looking at $1200.00 to $1500.00
to replace what you have now.Luck JimAnderson

redkneckracer
40C crawler
40C crawler

420c carriers

Post by redkneckracer » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:14 pm

yeah she came off a farm on south shore of quebec so it was probably just a gyver job. im up here in western labrador just minute from quebec boarder so id say Sept Iles is closest dealer? i got a 5 roller frame and i need the two towers for both carriers cause they were junked off as well. thanks

OneWelder
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by OneWelder » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:35 pm

When I was a kid I saw some loggers do that during the winter , when they stopped turning good

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:56 pm

All of the king of obsolete's winter freighting cats use wood blocks in place of top rollers due to the fact that in snow there isn't enough "grip " for the rail chain to roll the roller and it wears a flat spot on the roller. The roller doesn't want to roll because the oil or grease is cold and stiff. Not nearly the problem on the bottom rollers due to the weight on them. I was supprised how quickly mine started to flat spot when not turning in the snow. Nothing quite like running in 4thor 5th in 2 feet of snow, really smooth and you throw rooster tails of snow!

Chuck
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:25 pm

CELSESSER wrote:All of the king of obsolete's winter freighting cats use wood blocks in place of top rollers due to the fact that in snow there isn't enough "grip " for the rail chain to roll the roller and it wears a flat spot on the roller. The roller doesn't want to roll because the oil or grease is cold and stiff. Not nearly the problem on the bottom rollers due to the weight on them. I was supprised how quickly mine started to flat spot when not turning in the snow. Nothing quite like running in 4thor 5th in 2 feet of snow, really smooth and you throw rooster tails of snow!

Chuck
That is a good point... I better keep an eye on those things and keep the snow out of around them.