Lindeman questions

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
mc_mike
430 crawler
430 crawler

Lindeman questions

Post by mc_mike » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:57 pm

What do I need to look for when buying one? Thinking of heading to Polks and trying my luck, but I would like to know what are the difficult/impossible to find parts to find for a Lindeman?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:42 pm

As far as difficult hard to find parts on a Lindeman, pretty much ALL OF THEM that are related to the crawler portion! Engine parts are easy to get, some sheetmetal, fenders, and track frame covers are around new. Do not buy a cheap Lindeman thinking you are getting a bargain, you are not. If you can buy them for $500/each, get at least half a dozen and you might be able to make one. If you want a Lindeman, buy a good running driving one, or a "restored" one, you will be ahead in the long run.
None of this is a condemnation of Polk's in any way shape or form, it is a simple statement in general regarding Lindman crawler regardless of the source they come from.
Lavoy

michdeere
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by michdeere » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Finding one with good unbroken castings/undercarriage parts was important to me. It takes a LOT of looking. They all break in the same areas. Like has been said, it may take a couple of machines to make 1 good one. I was at Polk's today and picked up the Lindeman I bought last fall. He's got about 40 to sell this weekend. Lots to look at, that's for sure.