Generator light stays on

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Afzimm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Generator light stays on

Post by Afzimm » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Today I spread some gravel with my 2010 loader crawler. Was about 20 minutes into the job when the generator light came on. I increased rpms which will usually make the light go out. Well it stays on and it's bright. Is this common, where should I start in solving the problem. I also noticed a distinct growl coming from the water pump area today, hadn't noticed this before. I read on here somewhere that there is a repair kit available?
One more question, the left steering clutch engages easily with little effort in pulling back on the lever, however, I have to pull back hard with both hands on the right lever to get it to turn to the right. Does this sound like it might be out of adjustment or something more serious? Al Z

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:14 am

if your increasing rpms it usually means a loose belt.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Generator light stays on

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:34 am

Afzimm wrote:I also noticed a distinct growl coming from the water pump area today, hadn't noticed this before. I read on here somewhere that there is a repair kit available?
I don't think there is a kit per se, but the individual parts to rebuild can be purchased. They can probably be purchased from Deere directly, but I would suggest talking to Lavoy on here about it to see if he can get you a better deal. Here is a good "show and tell" of how to repair the water pump (second or third page):

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... c&start=15
Afzimm wrote: One more question, the left steering clutch engages easily with little effort in pulling back on the lever, however, I have to pull back hard with both hands on the right lever to get it to turn to the right. Does this sound like it might be out of adjustment or something more serious? Al Z
It could very well be out of adjustment- interestingly enough I have the exact same problem at the moment. Remember that when the steering lever is pulled, the steering clutch is disengaged and then the brake band is engaged- a partial pull will make a wide turn while a full pull will make a sharp turn. The adjustment has to allow these two actions to occur in order or you will have problems- thus make sure you adjust as discussed in the manual. There is an inspection plate on the top of the steering clutch housing which will allow you to see what is going on when the lever is pulled.

If the adjustments do not solve the problem, then you are probably looking at steering clutch and/or brake band replacement.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment