Loading a dead crawler

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Loading a dead crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:00 am

Guys,

Looking for some opinions/tips on loading a dead crawler that has one side locked up. I have pushed or come-a-longed them on my trailer before but those were free and rolling. I'm thinking I could jack it up and put a 2x8 under the locked up track and then pipes under that to get it on. Coming up the ramps might be the tricky part due to the change of angle. Anybody got some ideas?
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

country53
440 crawler
440 crawler

Loading a dead crawler

Post by country53 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:17 am

There are small devices that millwright machinery movers use to move heavy equipment they're about foot long,8 inches wide and 6inches tall they look like a small set of dozer tracks they work very well in a straight line one under each corner

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by lastchancegarage » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:43 pm

Digger,
The 2x8 might work better than you think. I recently went to pick up a small crawler with two locked tracks. I jacked up the tracks and put 2x6's under them with the same thought of rolling pins under the boards to roll it onto the trailer. Funny thing was, the tracks bit into the 2x6's and they ended up being skis for the crawler. We left them under the tracks once it was on the trailer and when we got home, backed up to a tree, chained the come alongs to the tree and crawler and skidded her off the trailer. One other thing, at a couple of times along the way I used my floor jack to relieve some of the pressure on the tracks. Worked pretty well. The only thing better would have been an electric winch on the trailer, but otherwise things worked out well. Another factor is the size of the machine. The tractor we loaded was an ATC GT-30. I don't know how this would work with my 440 ICD. Good luck.

Scott
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

Charles
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Charles » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:16 pm

I pulled a locked up 420 with a 90 loader on with a hyd winch and I used steel plates under the tracks.slid right up.A little oil might help also.I wasn't sure it would work,but I had to try or use a crane and lift the crawler on my trailer. Good luck Charles

jac
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jac » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:42 pm

Get some 1/2" plywood under the tracks and you will be surprised how well it can slide. I moved mine into my garage by using plywood since my JD 440 crawler would not steer.

russ61
420 crawler
420 crawler

Slide it!

Post by russ61 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:36 am

Use the 2 -2x8 with grease in between them.It should slide fairly easily.Just a thought.
Russ

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:45 pm

If you have someone close with a tilt bed truck and winch on it check and see how much he will charge you I luck out one time and the guy didn't charge much at all but that has been a few years ago. Good Luck P.S. the grease between 2 piecies of wood works good just make sure it don't ge away from you when it's half way up or even on the trailer.

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:17 pm

Thanks for the ideas and advice. You guys are great. I'm going next weekend to get it. I'll take a varity of the things mentioned here and we'll see what happens. I got to thinking I might jack up the front and back the trailer under it up to the front idler. At least that way it is half on when I start. I never thought it would skid as easy some have experienced. I'll let you know how it goes.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com

DiggerLarry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by DiggerLarry » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:04 pm

Just to let you know, it was a peice of cake. I didn't get to try out any of the suggested methods even though I showed up in the Boy Scout way with a truckbed full of blocks, boards, grease, pry bars, big honking come-a-long, chains and another strong back.

The fellow had a little skid-steer and picked the front up. I backed the trailer under it. He got behind it with the skid-steer, picked the back end up and just shoved it up on the trailer. I was out in under 30 minutes. I was surprised how much that little skid-steer would pick up.

I got it unloaded at home much the same way using the Ford tractor and loader. I already have it running and freed up but it's little more that a parts machine. Thanks to all for the ideas. I'll remember them for next time.
Digger
Charlotte, NC
www.JohnDeere40.com